What is going on with this Mac?

appleaddict
4 MB
What is going on with this Mac?

Post by appleaddict » August 19th, 2012, 9:11 am

I bought 3 used PowerBooks off eBay, 2 are for the kids which work perfect and then mine (PowerBook G4 1.5GHz 15") used to belong to a college, I bought Panther and did a fresh install on the other two mine wouldn't boot from the CD Rom so I put the harddrive in another PowerBook and installed it once back in it would boot and crash at the Apple logo, I put another harddrive back in with the same OS version it had cone with and it works again! I tried to up the RAM took a 1GB stick out of another PowerBook but it wouldn't recognize it! This is my first Mac so is there sone kind of upgrade lock tied in the BIOS/Motherboard somehow or what? I can't upgrade or downgrade the OS but the harddrive still boots in the other PowerBooks. I'm stumped
wove
16 MB

Re: What is going on with this Mac?

Post by wove » August 19th, 2012, 9:39 am

If you are trying to boot a Powerbook G4 1.5GHz from a hard drive that has Panther installed it will not work, for the OS to old for the hardware. You would need to check on line to see what system the Powerbook requires. It will run Mac OS X 10.5, which is probably your best bet.

Macs can be very fussy about RAM. It is not uncommon to have RAM that works fine elsewhere fail in a Mac.

To make it easier to install Mac OS X in a system without a working optical drive, you might wish to check out using "target" mode to do the install.

bill
--
\/\/i||i@m ()\/e
appleaddict
4 MB

Re: What is going on with this Mac?

Post by appleaddict » August 21st, 2012, 9:07 pm

The ram stick was out of another PowerBook G4 I pulled it myself.