Upgrade from Power Mac G5 (M9457LL/A) to Intel and newer OSX

bobgriner
4 MB
Upgrade from Power Mac G5 (M9457LL/A) to Intel and newer OSX

Post by bobgriner » October 17th, 2012, 11:53 am

Does anyone know if it's possible -- and worth it -- to upgrade my Power Mac G5 to a newer Intel processor and specs?

I'm not looking to recreate the latest and greatest Mac Pro, but would love to upgrade it to something that's much faster and can use the latest Mac OS too.

Thanks,
Bob
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Upgrade from Power Mac G5 (M9457LL/A) to Intel and newer OSX

Post by Turboladdade » October 17th, 2012, 12:33 pm

It is completely impossible. Out of the question. However you can find great used Intel Mac Minis and Mac Pros, all of which would be an upgrade over your G5. I would recommend looking only at systems that can run the latest Mountain Lion version of Mac OS X. These would be Mac Mini (Early 2009 or newer) or Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer).
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
bobgriner
4 MB

Re: Upgrade from Power Mac G5 (M9457LL/A) to Intel and newer OSX

Post by bobgriner » October 17th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Not possible even replacing logic board, processor, etc., the newer "hackintosh" parts won't fit, etc.? I guess I'm thinking that the case is similar (if not the same), and I could fit newer parts inside to replace older stuff. Again...I've got no experience here -- so if wisdom of others say it's impossible, I'm not even going to pursue it.

I've got a newer Mac Mini, but want to try to outfit the G5 for my "video editing wife" to have multiple HDDs, etc., inside.