Time Machine takes extremely long to complete backup

Joanna
32 MB
Time Machine takes extremely long to complete backup

Post by Joanna » October 26th, 2013, 11:51 pm

The backup takes more than 8 hours and still unsuccessful (because I tried to check what's going on, it interrupted the backup process so it failed). It takes more than 8 hours. I try to run it overnight but still...it could take 12 maybe 24 hours ???
Now, at the beginning when I bought my iMac exactly a year ago, I had exactly the same problem, it took more than 12 hours. I still had Apple support, they accessed my computer remotely and changed something and then it was reduced significantly.
Now I need to change those settings again but I didn't ask what they actually did (I should have).
Does anybody know what settings need to be changed to make backup shorter? (4-5 hours is ok, let's say <8 hrs is already better)
Attachments
Time machine1.png
Time machine.png
Time machine error.png
Joanna
32 MB

Re: Time Machine takes extremely long to complete backup

Post by Joanna » October 27th, 2013, 11:30 am

Seems that the external HD has a problem. Tried repairing in Disc Utility but failed. Getting all sorts of error messages. I don't know what's going on and what now...

Ok so now the disc is finally repaired
Trying to do time machine backup
Attachments
Time machine error.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 5.22.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 5.25.21 PM.png
Joanna
32 MB

Post by Joanna » October 27th, 2013, 1:46 pm

ok so somehow it is working now, the time machine completed backup in 2 hours. Can close this topic for now.
mark_42
32 MB

Post by mark_42 » November 9th, 2013, 1:29 pm

"Somehow it's working now" doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence. I would like to recommend that you get something more powerful than Disk Utility. It's not a bad utility but there are utilities far more capable of dealing with problems Disk Utility won't touch or even notice. I've had excellent luck with DiskWarrior.