Printer doesn't print suddenly

Joanna
32 MB
Printer doesn't print suddenly

Post by Joanna » August 15th, 2014, 7:04 am

Hi, I have iMac mid-2011 model with Mac OS X version 10.7.5. Not yet upgraded to Maverics. I have been using it for almost 2 years.
Recently I can't print anything on my printer Epson XP-305 (all-in-one). The error is that after I click the Print button, there is a dialog window "Sending data to printer" and nothing is happening. After few minutes I got error message saying jus only "Error" (doesn't help much). Connection via USB cable. But I was able to print from a Windows 8.1 laptop even wireless. (I created SR with Epson customer service). I feel like it's maybe not the fault of the printer but the Mac software but I am not 100% sure.
The printer is from February 2013. my iMac from September 2012.
I did not yet upgrade to Maverics.
At the same time my wireless mouse stopped working (created separate topic for that one).
Any ideas on how to proceed?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 2.02.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 2.02.18 PM.png
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Printer doesn't print suddenly

Post by Turboladdade » August 15th, 2014, 8:21 am

The first thing I would suggest here is make sure you have the latest drivers downloaded from Epson's website. Be sure to NEVER download drivers from any third-party website like drivers.com or anything like that. Those sites tend to bundle drivers with crapware.

Since you have two things seemingly failing at the same time, I would also try repairing permissions. You can do this by opening Disk Utility in Applications -> Utilities folder, selecting your startup disk in the list, and clicking "Repair Permissions"

You might even want to do this while booted from the recovery partition on your iMac. You can get to this by restarting your iMac and holding down "Option" right when it chimes. You'll then be presented with a choice of booting on your normal disk, or from the recovery partition.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Joanna
32 MB

Post by Joanna » August 15th, 2014, 12:58 pm

I did "repair permissions" on the hard disk but I didn't boot from recovery partition. What improved is that now the mouse is detected but the pointer is not moving.
The printer does not print but the scan function works. Big puzzle...
If I boot from recovery partition will I lose any data?
Joanna
32 MB

Post by Joanna » August 15th, 2014, 1:34 pm

OK, this topic can be closed now.
Here are steps I've done to help other users:
Reinstalled the printer software.
1) download the latest printer software (including drivers) from Epson website (only found it on UK website, NL website didn't have it, I am in the Netherlands).
2) choose between wireless or via usb cable - in my case usb cable; plug it in and switch on the printer
3) removed the printer using "-" button (uninstall it temporary)
4) add the same printer using "+" button - it will show on the bottom, the least of available printers nearby
5) test print a page - it works