Printer repairing permissions?

Jouken
8 MB
Printer repairing permissions?

Post by Jouken » December 22nd, 2016, 9:34 am

Tried installing printer driver software (Gutenprint). There was some message, that might have been about "software for the printer was installed incorrectly", then asked if I want to repair the thing, I agreed and it started repairing permissions. In the end it still didn't properly work.

The question I have is - what does repairing permissions mean in this context? I read articles and definitions and don't get it in this context. Did it mean the installer simply moved the driver under Mac's command or something? Normal Mac thing, nothing to worry about?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Printer repairing permissions?

Post by Turboladdade » December 22nd, 2016, 10:19 am

Repairing permissions occasionally fixes problems with certain system errors but it's pretty rare these days that ever needs to be done. Why are you using Gutenprint and not your printer's OEM drivers? What kind of printer is this?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Jouken
8 MB

Post by Jouken » December 22nd, 2016, 1:49 pm

Turboladdade wrote:Repairing permissions occasionally fixes problems with certain system errors but it's pretty rare these days that ever needs to be done. Why are you using Gutenprint and not your printer's OEM drivers? What kind of printer is this?
It is old printer I used on old Windows. I tried using installation CD, but only got scanner function working. Printer drivers did not function. Mac just did not register there were any drivers. So I tried Gutenprint, but during installation it told me about repairing permissions, then I printed out one page and after that printer got weird, refused to shut itself down (power button burned and nothing worked, had to pull power cable out).

I'm assuming now the printer is too old, PIXMA Canon MP-160. I'm worried if the repairing permissions during installation meant something bad or malicious for my Mac?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 22nd, 2016, 1:57 pm

I recommend never, ever using the CD that comes with a printer. Even when you buy a new printer, these CDs were likely printed many months prior and there is undoubtedly newer, updated drivers available on the website. I would also uninstall anything that you've attempted to install so far, including Gutenprint.

The Canon support page for this printer lists the most recent Mac OS drivers as being from 2014, so that's not that old and likely still works fine. Visit that page, click "Drivers & Downloads" then scroll to the bottom and in the dropdown menu next to "Operating System" choose OS X Lion v10.7. Download those drivers, install and see if that works.
Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 12.58.16 PM.png
Repairing permissions is a built-in function of Mac OS. It will not do anything malicious.
Jouken
8 MB

Post by Jouken » December 22nd, 2016, 3:53 pm

Turboladdade wrote:I recommend never, ever using the CD that comes with a printer. Even when you buy a new printer, these CDs were likely printed many months prior and there is undoubtedly newer, updated drivers available on the website. I would also uninstall anything that you've attempted to install so far, including Gutenprint.

Do you think CDs like these could be therefore harmful in some ways?
I did uninstall Gutenprint after it refused to work. Though why? Would it harm Mac in some ways?
Turboladdade wrote:The Canon support page for this printer lists the most recent Mac OS drivers as being from 2014, so that's not that old and likely still works fine. Visit that page, click "Drivers & Downloads" then scroll to the bottom and in the dropdown menu next to "Operating System" choose OS X Lion v10.7. Download those drivers, install and see if that works.

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 12.58.16 PM.png

Repairing permissions is a built-in function of Mac OS. It will not do anything malicious.

Thank you for this!
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 22nd, 2016, 4:05 pm

Jouken wrote:Do you think CDs like these could be therefore harmful in some ways?
Harmful, yes… in the sense that they won't have bug fixes or security patches that later versions you download from the manufacturer's website will.
Jouken wrote:I did uninstall Gutenprint after it refused to work. Though why? Would it harm Mac in some ways?
Why would you keep software installed that doesn't even work?
Jouken wrote:Thank you for this!
Did it work for you then?
Jouken
8 MB

Post by Jouken » December 22nd, 2016, 7:09 pm

Turboladdade wrote:
Jouken wrote:Do you think CDs like these could be therefore harmful in some ways?
Harmful, yes… in the sense that they won't have bug fixes or security patches that later versions you download from the manufacturer's website will.
Does that Canon driver download contain the software for scanning? I see it listed there, but not sure if it is downloadable. Should I should remove that software I got from CD just in case it it causes security issues?

On that note - are there any apps to check Mac for security holes, for apps that are insecure etc? Or to see if there could have been any dangerous issues with this old software? Or to make sure I got everything of it out...

And with this, if Canon does not update this printer driver any more, when would the one on their site become outdated and potentially dangerous?
Turboladdade wrote:
Jouken wrote:I did uninstall Gutenprint after it refused to work. Though why? Would it harm Mac in some ways?
Why would you keep software installed that doesn't even work?
God point. :D I was thinking more in lines of, do you consider Gutenprint itself dangerous?
Turboladdade wrote:
Jouken wrote:Thank you for this!
Did it work for you then?
Sorry, I'm not at home, but had to ask about this issue that was on my mind regarding printer. My Mac is therefore currently out of reach.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 22nd, 2016, 7:48 pm

Jouken wrote:Does that Canon driver download contain the software for scanning? I see it listed there, but not sure if it is downloadable. Should I should remove that software I got from CD just in case it it causes security issues?
A separate scanner driver is listed there. I would try OS X's universal scanner app Image Capture first. If that doesn't work then you can try the scanner download at Canon's website.
Jouken wrote:On that note - are there any apps to check Mac for security holes, for apps that are insecure etc? Or to see if there could have been any dangerous issues with this old software? Or to make sure I got everything of it out…
It honestly sounds to me like you may be a little too concerned with security on your Mac! Chances are your computer is fine, there is very little malware that can affect your Mac. Run an occasional manual scan with Malwarebytes free edition and you should be golden. You can get that here. Download the one from the bottom of the left column. Afterwards, relax and enjoy life!
Jouken wrote:And with this, if Canon does not update this printer driver any more, when would the one on their site become outdated and potentially dangerous?
It won't become "dangerous" it'll just stop working, if it hasn't already. You can get new printers really cheap these days, you know!
Jouken wrote:God point. :D I was thinking more in lines of, do you consider Gutenprint itself dangerous?
No, just unnecessary bloatware that your system doesn't need. Less is more.
Jouken
8 MB

Post by Jouken » December 22nd, 2016, 8:07 pm

Turboladdade wrote: A separate scanner driver is listed there. I would try OS X's universal scanner app Image Capture first. If that doesn't work then you can try the scanner download at Canon's website.
Oh, something like that exists... I hadn't even heard about this.

Turboladdade wrote:It honestly sounds to me like you may be a little too concerned with security on your Mac! Chances are your computer is fine, there is very little malware that can affect your Mac. Run an occasional manual scan with Malwarebytes free edition and you should be golden. You can get that here. Download the one from the bottom of the left column. Afterwards, relax and enjoy life!
Haha, I'm afraid you might be right! :) I already got thinking "what if that old software caused some issues, some hole, what if it infected blablabla". Windows background and one very messed up PC during childhood still haunt me. :D

That's the only anti-malware program I actually have. Good time to ask - what is your stance on those real time scanner apps? There are no viruses like in Windows, but I've noticed how Mac community tends to split when it comes to advice if to install real time scanner or not. What would you advice? need one? If yes, which?
AVG spies on surfing, I heard Sophos might damage security or mess up new OS system upgrades, AVAST is getting bloated even in Windows and not sure if the story about Avira spying and being owned by Mackeeper is true or not.

Turboladdade wrote:It won't become "dangerous" it'll just stop working, if it hasn't already. You can get new printers really cheap these days, you know!
To be honest I'm more interested in its scanner. If it prints good, if not fine.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 22nd, 2016, 8:31 pm

Jouken wrote:That's the only anti-malware program I actually have. Good time to ask - what is your stance on those real time scanner apps? There are no viruses like in Windows, but I've noticed how Mac community tends to split when it comes to advice if to install real time scanner or not. What would you advice? need one? If yes, which?
I always tell people not to install real-time AV on their Mac and for Windows it's Sophos home.

Do not under any circumstances download, install or run MacKeeper.
Jouken
8 MB

Post by Jouken » December 22nd, 2016, 9:15 pm

Turboladdade wrote: I always tell people not to install real-time AV on their Mac and for Windows it's Sophos home.

Do not under any circumstances download, install or run MacKeeper.
Sophos Home is bad for Windows?

Considering how blatantly malware MacKeeper is, surprising they are so in business even now.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 22nd, 2016, 9:22 pm

No I meant Sophos is what I recommend for Windows users.
Jouken
8 MB

Post by Jouken » December 22nd, 2016, 9:51 pm

Turboladdade wrote:No I meant Sophos is what I recommend for Windows users.
I see, thank you. I've been thinking about changing anti-virus program for my Windows as well. Good to know what to look for.
In Mac though it does more harm than good then.

To conclude:

1) Gutenprint and the old installation CD haven't harmed Mac (just remove scanner software I got from there?)
2) Install the latest drivers from canon website, when I get back
3) Run Malwarebytes to be safe
4) Repairing permissions during Gutenprint installation meant nothing bad
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 23rd, 2016, 2:28 pm

You got it!
Jouken
8 MB

Post by Jouken » December 24th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Turboladdade wrote:You got it!
Gonna try this link you gave me. But first, any advice about removing old software safe?
The scanner software is in Apps Folder - I'll just drag it to trash?
Same to printer drivers - just take from library folders and drag to trash?