Suggest a way to erase all data on MBP

real3424
2 MB
Suggest a way to erase all data on MBP

Post by real3424 » June 20th, 2017, 4:27 am

I have an old MBP (late 2013) and bought a new one. Now I will sell the old one (still worth around $400). my question is how to safely delete all data on the device?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Suggest a way to erase all data on MBP

Post by Turboladdade » June 20th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Hey there,
I compiled some instructions for you below direct from Apple's website.

First, you'll want to boot into Recovery Mode.

Then you'll want to Erase your Mac's startup volume. Be sure to select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the volume format, then for security purposes…
To prevent the erased files from being recovered, click Security Options, use the slider to choose how many times to write over the erased data, then click OK.

Writing over the data three times meets the U.S. Department of Energy standard for securely erasing magnetic media. Writing over the data seven times meets the U.S. Department of Defense 5220-22-M standard.
Finally, reinstall macOS. From the list of options available there, I would choose "Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac." which means booting into Recover Mode using Option-Command-R.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
real3424
2 MB

Post by real3424 » June 25th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Turboladdade wrote:Hey there,

Then you'll want to Erase your Mac's startup volume. Be sure to select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the volume format, then for security purposes…
To prevent the erased files from being recovered, click Security Options, use the slider to choose how many times to write over the erased data, then click OK.

Writing over the data three times meets the U.S. Department of Energy standard for securely erasing magnetic media. Writing over the data seven times meets the U.S. Department of Defense 5220-22-M standard.
Finally, reinstall macOS. From the list of options available there, I would choose "Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac." which means booting into Recover Mode using Option-Command-R.
Thanks. The current version is OS X 10.9.5 on that Mac.
Ealean
1 MB

Post by Ealean » July 4th, 2017, 1:48 am

Simply deleting a file will not far enough to erase your data from MBP, i suggset you try some professional data erase tool, these data wiping tool could write junk files to your device and make the deleted data unrecoverable!
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » July 5th, 2017, 6:02 am

Ealean wrote:Simply deleting a file will not far enough to erase your data from MBP, i suggset you try some professional data erase tool, these data wiping tool could write junk files to your device and make the deleted data unrecoverable!
This is the point of the data overwrite feature. There is no need to purchase "professional" software to do the same thing that is built-into Mac OS.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
real3424
2 MB

Post by real3424 » July 7th, 2017, 12:46 am

Turboladade wrote:Hey there,

I did reinstall OS twice but it takes too much of time. So a simple erase should be enough.
This is the point of the data overwrite feature. There is no need to purchase "professional" software to do the same thing that is built-into Mac OS.
Maybe I worried too much. Thanks for the tips