Using cover flow for a movie library.

jimmyrvw
2 MB
Using cover flow for a movie library.

Post by jimmyrvw » September 1st, 2017, 5:32 pm

I have a large library of movie files on my server. I would like to have move posters show up when I view search the library in cover flow. Presently I don't have internet access with my server. When I did, getting posters was a simple 3 step process, 1. Get online and go to the Internet Movie Database site (IMDB), select the movie whose poster I wanted, 2. Right click on the movie file that needed a poster and select "Get info", 3. Drag the poster from IMDB to the little square in the upper left corner of the "Get" info box. And there a poster was in cover flow. Now when I use my MBP laptop at a local wi-fi hotspot and drag and drop a movie poster jpeg file from IMDB to a file on my desktop for later use, they don't work. I'll take the saved poster file, transfer it to my Mac Pro server drag it to a "Get info" box and what I get is an icon saying what kind of image file it is (jpeg or png rather then a picture.) I've verified that all the file permissions are "Read and Write", but no joy. How am I breaking these files by just saving them? Please help.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Using cover flow for a movie library.

Post by Turboladdade » September 5th, 2017, 11:24 am

What you're really describing in the first part is setting a custom icon for the file in question, not necessarily a poster image. When you drag from your browser you're dragging over copied pixels of a photo, which does not have an icon set because it's not a saved file. But when you drag from a file on your desktop, it's using that file's icon, not the file content.

Try opening your poster in Preview, Command + A to select all, Command + C to copy, then go back to your Get Info window, click on the icon on the top left, then Command + V to paste.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
jimmyrvw
2 MB

Re: Using cover flow for a movie library.

Post by jimmyrvw » September 9th, 2017, 4:07 am

Thanks a million, I did what you wrote, and it worked like a charm.
Again Thanks