location of preferences in shell filesystem - esp voiceover

gmark
1 MB
location of preferences in shell filesystem - esp voiceover

Post by gmark » January 4th, 2020, 8:10 pm

I would like to find the bash/zsh filesystem location in Catalina of user preferences. Especially for VoiceOver.

I cannot turn this annoying thing off, and I've followed all the procedures, had Apple Support working on it for an hour and giving up. Then I ran malware and cleanup and disk repair. Then I reinstalled 10.15.2. This leads me to believe that either there is a bug or corruption in data. I would rather not restore an earlier version from time machine of the entire system, either.

The bottom line is that I would rather just learn more about where and how the preference data is currently stored in Catalina. I've looked under /Library, but haven't found anything named related to VoiceOver or Accessibility. I would like to know how to find these files for software preferences. I've changed various settings in some utilities, but see no change in the file timestamps, so perhaps an interface is buggy.

How do I find preference files and data?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: location of preferences in shell filesystem - esp voiceover

Post by Turboladdade » January 6th, 2020, 11:30 am

Well for starters, it's not /Library (root folder) but rather ~/Library (your user folder)

So from terminal, type cd ~/Library/Preferences and in there you'll find com.apple.Accessibility.plist — is this not what you're looking for?
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 10.29.14 AM.png
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.