Finding apps I've already paid for but lost between sync?

deafcyclist
4 MB
Finding apps I've already paid for but lost between sync?

Post by deafcyclist » June 3rd, 2010, 9:31 pm

Hi, new iTouch owner here :-) I got the 8gb iTouch just last week And have Already done tons to the iPod :-) however I've had puchased a few apps after one sync and before being able to sync it again and thus backing up the app, I installed itune on another computer and synced my iPod there. The problem is that somehow I lost a few paid apps. After some search here on the forum, I found that I can just redownload paid apps. My question is this, how do I find these apps? Must I memorizeevery single apps I've ever bought in case I lose them and have to redownload some of those apps? Or is there a master lost somewhere on itune that shows what apps I've purchased?

Thank you :-) I hope to find some answer to this asap.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Finding apps I've already paid for but lost between sync?

Post by Turboladdade » June 3rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

Actually, I don't think you can do that because it constitutes "deleting" them. You might have to re-buy them again.

I believe your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be synced with one copy of iTunes installed on one computer at a time.

Frown :(
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
deafcyclist
4 MB

Post by deafcyclist » June 3rd, 2010, 9:55 pm

i don't think (personal opinion, got no legal training, heh) that's even legal for apple to consider it deleting. especially since apple's itune is the only place I can store my apps beside my ipod and it's because of their confusing set-up I accidentally lost these apps. I did NOT delete these apps, and apple can't really call it willful deletions since i could've lost these apps at the very next syncing no matter what I've done. and beside, my account already have receipts in e-mail for these paid apps. technically (from my understanding), we buys license to use these apps, we don't actually owns the app so therefore, it shouldn't matter if we accidentally delete these apps. we should be able to log into an secure page on itune or something and see a master list of all of the apps that we paid to use.

Again, i do not have a true legal understanding of how our ownership works within apple's boundary but again, I have paid for these apps, and apple is not allowing me (if there is really no way for me to find all of the apps that I've paid for) to be able to find all of the apps that I've owned, regardless of whether I've synced it properly or not.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 3rd, 2010, 10:02 pm

I'm honestly not even sure because I've never done this, however I know that if you are sitting on your iPhone and literally delete it, it's gone and you have to buy it again. Additionally, when plugging your iPhone into a new computer, iTunes gives a very clear warning that its' about to completely reset it to factory conditions and you'll lose everything on it.

Hopefully someone else on here will have a clearer understanding of whether or not you actually lost your apps. :?
jeff01111
1 MB

Re: Finding apps I've already paid for but lost between sync

Post by jeff01111 » June 3rd, 2010, 11:08 pm

The apps are tied to your iTunes account, not your device. You can load them on multiple devices on the same account.
deafcyclist
4 MB

Post by deafcyclist » June 4th, 2010, 7:20 am

the part about literally deleting the app. from what I can see, you can get your app back free, you just re-download it by clicking 'buy' and once it's installing, there will be a pop-up saying that it seem that I've bought it and I can download it for free. I've done this for a few apps that I've remembered.

The particular issue I have is the lack of any master list of all of the apps that I've paid for, regardless of whether it's installed to my ipod or not. This force peoples to have to remember every single apps that they have lost and hopes that they got the right app so they don't end up paying again for something similar to what they already paid for since you have to click on the buy button in itune on the ipod before you can even find out if that was the one you bought before.

I see this one particular thing, having to 'buy' before you can even know if that's the one you paid for, as an deliberate tactic by apple to confuse and trick users into wasting money on unnecessary apps over and over again. If the ipod can already detect that you have bought that app upon installing, why couldn't apple make it do the same BEFORE having to click on the 'buy' button? maybe change the button to 'bought'?

I know about the itune clear warning about and the thing is, I thought I had picked the right option to keep all the stuffs that's on my ipod and have it synced to my PC. Instead, I lost a few apps that I've bought since I've synced it to my other itune on my laptop. I did NOT select anything that would have made it clear that I was going to lose those apps.

In all case, I paid for these apps and I have a reasonable expectation to be able to get to these apps easier than the way apple seems to have set it up.
deafcyclist
4 MB

Post by deafcyclist » June 4th, 2010, 7:23 am

jeff01111 wrote:The apps are tied to your iTunes account, not your device. You can load them on multiple devices on the same account.
yeah, i'm aware of that. I only have one Ipod Touch. nothing else. this is my first apple device. the problem is getting these apps that I've paid for. I know I got a lot more than what I currently have now and I cannot seem to be able to find a list of those apps that I've paid for. why couldn't apple make a master list in itune somewhere? because those apps that I've lost is not showing up in iTune so far :-/
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 4th, 2010, 7:56 am

deafcyclist wrote:The particular issue I have is the lack of any master list of all of the apps that I've paid for, regardless of whether it's installed to my ipod or not
Sounds like these apps must not be that important to you since you can't remember them. :roll: Hopefully in the future Apple either provides you with a list or you have a sudden recollection of what they were!
deafcyclist
4 MB

Post by deafcyclist » June 4th, 2010, 10:03 am

heh, one of the thing i'm impressed with the itouch is the amount of apps there and what I like to do is to collect many apps and put them on the last pages to evaluate. while these particular app that I've lost, I may not remember or it may not be very important to me, I do want to know why it is set up this way anyway because I do not want to lose my apps like this in the future again. and yes, I know I can back it up to itune anytime I want to but I'm a frequent tweaker of my computer and generally reinstall my OS on them every so often. so I know that there's a higher chance of me losing my apps despite me doing all the right thing.

Regardless of the importance of the apps to me, apple should not make it so hard for us to retrieve it again. I wonder how much money apple made off this particular scheme with many a new apple products owners?
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » June 5th, 2010, 8:10 pm

They don't.

As stated earlier, as long as you sign in to iTunes with the same account, you can re-download your apps anytime you want. Your purchases are tied to your iTunes account, that's it. Couldn't actually be any simpler.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com
Dog Cow
8 MB

Post by Dog Cow » June 6th, 2010, 12:32 pm

deafcyclist wrote: The particular issue I have is the lack of any master list of all of the apps that I've paid for, regardless of whether it's installed to my ipod or not. This force peoples to have to remember every single app
Do you save your emails? Apple sends an email receipt for every application that you download, regardless of whether it was free or not.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 6th, 2010, 7:15 pm

deafcyclist wrote:Regardless of the importance of the apps to me, apple should not make it so hard for us to retrieve it again. I wonder how much money apple made off this particular scheme with many a new apple products owners?
I just checked in iTunes on a Mac and, under your Apple Account Information page there is a button to get your all-time purchase history. Looks like all apps I've ever downloaded are there, including free ones.
screenie.jpg
So there you go... problem solved.
duke77
1 MB

Post by duke77 » July 18th, 2010, 11:51 am

I purchased some apps back in 08' when I had the 2nd gen Iphone. I returned that phone. I recently bought an iphone 4. I am using the same login I did in 08'. When I try to get apps that I already bought it brings up a box saying are you sure you want to buy and download this app your credit card will be charged. What do I have to do so I don't have to buy them again?
PaulPalmer
16 MB

Post by PaulPalmer » August 18th, 2010, 3:01 am

It checks your purchase at the next stage after the warning. It happens even for the free ones