Post by jacob » August 20th, 2010, 7:49 pm

That is the question.....
For iPad & my old 3G iPhone? Lol
hendel
2 MB

Re: To jailbreak or not to jail break?

Post by hendel » August 21st, 2010, 4:19 am

You have to know...

Jailbreak=More Apps like Backgrounder etc with it you can have real multitasking on iPad. I heard something about less Battery but dont know if its true... Teorethicaly you can download install EVERY app aviable but pls use cydia and not an not trustet rep, because when you jailbreak the iOS is full open and every app COULD make BAD things!
You lose your warranty! But you can restore your iOS and then nobody could see, that it was jailbroken, but if you have jailbroken and you get a hardware failure and cant reset/start iOS anymore you dont have warranty!

Not jailbroken=Less apps. Better support!
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » August 21st, 2010, 5:02 am

I have a jailbroken 2G iPhone.

Overall, jailbreaking is WAY overrated. There are only a handful of *great* apps available; most everything else is ringtones, wallpapers and just plain junk. I jailbroke my phone because I needed to unlock it (moved to Canada) and because there were one or two apps I really wanted. Two years later, you can make that three apps, maybe four. iPads are of course sold unlocked everywhere so unlocking (the #1 reason for me to jailbreak) is moot.

Multi-tasking is one reason to jailbreak the older iPhones, but in point of fact battery life DOES suffer quite a lot. I had it on my iPhone and took it off after a day or two, it was that bad (a pity, because I really did want to listen to Radio Paradise while surfing). The 3G might be somewhat better but as I recall the 2G and the 3G are much more alike than different in terms of battery so I doubt it.

Jailbreaking the iPad is, as far as I can tell, a totally pointless exercise; of the three "unofficial" apps I have found personally useful, two of them are already incorporated into it or are impossible (stereo bluetooth support and video recording) and the other won't work properly on an iPad (it's phone-specific dev stuff). You might find *something* that could be useful on an iPad, but that's a mighty small needle in an awfully big haystack, I think you'll discover.

Multi-tasking is available to 3GS and higher iPhones now for free, and coming to the iPad in a month, so I can't see that as motivation to take the risk (and there is a small risk) of jailbreaking.

If you still want to try it out on the 3G, that's your prerogative of course, but on the iPad? Can't see the point.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com
robsbrutal
2 MB

Post by robsbrutal » September 27th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Jailbreaking is anything but pointless, sounds like you're just uneducated in the subject, google this list of things and tell me it's not worth jailbreaking
[CENSORED] - every app from the apple app store for free
Infinidock- add apps to the dock and scroll sideways
Mywi- turn your phone into a wifi hotspot
Winterboard-fully theme your boring looking iPhone
Intelliscreen
Go to http://www.nospamplease.com to learn more about jailbreaking. There's really so much you can do once it's jailbroken. And it doesn't slow your phone down or break it in anyway
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » September 27th, 2010, 9:08 pm

I'm not really interested in jumping into yet another Jailbreak-or-not debate (I don't Jailbreak myself), but please do not post information or links to information about stealing payware apps from the App Store on Info-Mac. Thanks.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » September 29th, 2010, 4:26 am

I'm not "uneducated" on the subject, my mother just raised me right (unlike some, apparently).

I don't steal from developers who make products I think are worthy of support. I don't undermine the platform I depend on for my living, and in general I try to do unto others etc.

Too bad not everyone has the ethical "education" to make similar good choices, but instead decides to care only about themselves to the harm of others. Good luck with that as a sustainable lifestyle.
Cheers
chas_m

Phorbie
1 MB

Post by Phorbie » October 4th, 2010, 2:25 am

I upgraded from a 3G to a 4, and I jailbroke both of them. There are a handful of features that really make jailbreaking worth it to me. BiteSMS is the biggest reason for me personally; in enables texting and replies from anywhere on your phone, without having to exit an app to go into messages. Super useful. The other big thing I use is SBSettings, which let's you control things like brightness, wifi, Bluetooth, etc, from anywhere. I saw somewhere in the replies that jailbreaking takes up battery? Nonsense, there are no extra processes running just because you installed Cydia. In fact, I got a huge juice boost when I installed Auto3G, which turns off the 3G radio when the phone is locked.

It just depends on if you feel you need certain features that apple doesn't allow natively. For me, the added benefits are worth the small risk.
thepyro395
2 MB

Post by thepyro395 » October 25th, 2010, 4:09 pm

I have mt iPhone 4 jailbroken and I like it. Chasm-I do use the unnamed app to try put the apps I would like to buy, then if I do like it and feel it worth my money I always go and buy it.
Svelte
8 MB

Post by Svelte » October 25th, 2010, 7:12 pm

I jail broke my second gen iPod touch. But I wouldn't jailbreak something really expensive now, like an iPad or the new iPod touch or an iPhone 4. I used JailbreakMe, I love it. i didn't even know about jailbreaking and now i know enough. For me, favorites are SBSetting and Installous. i hate how an iDevice starts up now because of it though. Iike the regular non-jailbreak start up MUCH better.
ARGH
blackops1
1 MB

Post by blackops1 » November 30th, 2010, 1:13 am

I recommend not jailbreaking anything unless you have to unlock it. It will eventually screw it up
rmdz
2 MB

Post by rmdz » December 13th, 2010, 12:23 pm

I really don't understand apple where they restrict people from using applications not authorized by apple store, restrict the OSX from being installed in apple manufactured machines but macs can run other operating systems on there machines, I say apple is a communist company. Jobs you are a communist...jailbreak all apple products!!!!!!!
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 13th, 2010, 12:40 pm

rmdz wrote:I really don't understand apple where they restrict people from using applications not authorized by apple store, restrict the OSX from being installed in apple manufactured machines but macs can run other operating systems on there machines, I say apple is a communist company. Jobs you are a communist...jailbreak all apple products!!!!!!!
It's one thing to say you disagree with Apple's justifications for their policies. It's another matter entirely to claim to "not understand" the literally thousands of blogs, articles, forum topics, press releases, and opinions written, broadcasted and/or illustrated on this subject. Apple's iOS and Mac OS X policies have been explained ad nauseam. If you still don't understand, then you're just making noise.
CeCe Rocky
2 MB

Post by CeCe Rocky » December 20th, 2010, 8:33 pm

I would say to BOT JAILBREAK IT. my friend tried to jailbreak and failed I guess you have to know how to do it or else you can really screw ur iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch up it's practically pointless just to have ur iPod more fancy doesn't make a big of a difference.
iR3C0N7
1 MB

Post by iR3C0N7 » December 26th, 2010, 10:14 am

If I would you, I would jailbreak the 3G. You can get VIDEO wallpapers, you can create your own theme and move it into your iPhone, you can add a android lockscreen and many more things. The bad part is how people use installous to download apps they should pay for, $.99 is nothing to steal for. If you worry about slowing down iPhone you can get the ability to overclock iPhone. Those are the reasons to Jailbreak. ;)
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 26th, 2010, 10:45 am

iR3C0N7 wrote:If I would you, I would jailbreak the 3G. You can get VIDEO wallpapers, you can create your own theme and move it into your iPhone, you can add a android lockscreen and many more things. The bad part is how people use installous to download apps they should pay for, $.99 is nothing to steal for. If you worry about slowing down iPhone you can get the ability to overclock iPhone. Those are the reasons to Jailbreak. ;)
Sweet, I could play a mini videogame just to unlock my phone, drain my battery with my background image, steal other people's hard work, constantly worry about damaging my phone and get every update super late.

Literally none of that sounds appealing to me at all.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » December 27th, 2010, 4:13 am

+1 to Turboladdade.
Cheers
chas_m

jesus
2 MB

Post by jesus » December 27th, 2010, 8:34 am

i have jailbreak all my devices and sence 4.2.1 update there is no need to do it the only thing im wating for is a better airplay, imagine if we can air play all the apps.
vincetion
2 MB

Post by vincetion » January 16th, 2011, 3:33 pm

No to jailbreak

My life is better with app store