iPod Touch 2nd Gen Home Button not working

unknown1
16 MB
iPod Touch 2nd Gen Home Button not working

Post by unknown1 » September 7th, 2010, 1:10 am

My beautiful iPod Touch (well not really beautiful, kinda dinged up, I bought it used) Home Button stopped working after I attempted my last repair of the LCD (the new LCD is gorgous by the way!). Attached the flexible PC board in place on the metal part of the 'Midframe' (the plastic frame with the rubber gasket around the front) with some new adhesive pad to make it look exactly the same as the original, snapped everything back together, all works, except the home button.

My next step is to take it apart AGAIN (five times so far!) and check continuity on all associated parts, as I didn't see anything broken or loose on my last excursion inside.... I will probably need yet another new midframe too as I seem to shred them no matter how careful I am.

Has anyone here had this problem before? The myriad of Youtube videos are useless on this issue.

When I get my iPod Touch 4 I promise to get a big fat warranty and never, never, never, open it up!
Russell - Unknown1 - Idaho, USA
iMac 2008 20" 2.6 GHz
scotob641
1 MB

Re: iPod Touch 2nd Gen Home Button not working

Post by scotob641 » September 12th, 2010, 9:36 am

I am repairing my sister's iPod Touch 2nd gen 8MB glass/lcd. Same thing as you, got it all installed and the home button is completely unresponsive. All has been dismantled again, further inspection has everything intact:
+ S-clip contact that's mounted to the motherboard is all good
+ top screen button is good
+ metal flex mount is good and solide
+ spring button module okay (seemed weak compared to mine) & adhesive coming a little loose on edges

Ordered a new spring button for $6.00 from Amazon with hopes this is a simple replacement process like the glass and lcd went, fixed and done. Got the new button module delivered yesterday and ready for install this morning.

Youtube videos do not offer any value to this issue, so anyone with further insight to the matter would be greatly appreciated. I'll let you know how the repairs go, or not, from my experience.
unknown1
16 MB

Post by unknown1 » September 13th, 2010, 11:30 am

Thanks, anxiously awaiting your report!
iMac 2008 20" 2.6 GHz
unknown1
16 MB

Post by unknown1 » October 5th, 2010, 3:47 am

Any good news scotob641? I haven't done a thing on mine.

Discouraged.
Want iPad.
Want work.

Discouraged.
iMac 2008 20" 2.6 GHz
unknown1
16 MB

Post by unknown1 » October 16th, 2010, 5:09 pm

OK, doing some diag work on the iPod, here is what I come up with:

Shorting the Z shaped contact (under the home button location) to the frame makes the home button work so that part is OK.

I can't seem to get the small circuit under the home button to work, I checked the old 'midframe' with the attached metal bracket and found the adhesive for the home button circuit seems to be a sparkly metallic stuff, likely conductive. I used standard plastic adhesive left over from a midframe. Therein lies the problem.

I now need:

Conductive adhesive (or somehow remove the old original stuff and reuse it!)

Some way to remove all traces of the plastic adhesive before I apply the conductive adhesive so it will conduct electricity.

Why does no one who sells midframes or screens even so much as mention this!?!

Backside of midframe with underside of home button circuit shown. See the nasty little spots of glue on each?!?
HomeButtonCircuit2.jpg
Still want work.
Not as discouraged.
Apple products work!
iMac 2008 20" 2.6 GHz