Stopping incoming calls & texts temporarily?

The Professional
8 MB
Stopping incoming calls & texts temporarily?

Post by The Professional » April 17th, 2011, 1:40 am

Is there a setting on iPhone 3.OS that would allow me to turn off the phone aspect temporarily? I'd like to use it when I'm working out, bit I don't want to receive any calls or text messages while I'm in the gym, listening to my workout music.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Stopping incoming calls & texts temporarily?

Post by Turboladdade » April 19th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Yes it's called Airplane Mode.

Per http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1355
Enable airplane mode from the Settings screen on iPhone. When you turn on airplane mode, the following wireless connections/receivers are turned off:

Cellular (voice and data)
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
GPS

If allowed by the aircraft operator and applicable laws and regulations, you can re-enable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth while in airplane mode:

Wi-Fi: While airplane mode is on, tap Settings > Wi-Fi, then turn Wi-Fi on and choose a Wi-Fi network.
Bluetooth: While airplane mode is on, tap Settings > General > Bluetooth, then turn Bluetooth on.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
The Professional
8 MB

Post by The Professional » April 19th, 2011, 7:21 pm

Thanks. Sadly, I never bothered to find out what "Airplane Mode" was for on my phone. I just assumed it was just a special setting if I was on a flight.
mule
1 MB

Post by mule » May 7th, 2011, 10:21 am

Just returned from Holland - had about $200 roaming data fees above the minimal phone and data roaming package. Make sure you turn off location services. Even the spam and subscription email sucks up a lot of data. My carrier says it is assessed in 20KB amounts which is costly. I probably won't bother with a phone if I go again. Never did use the phone package and exceeded, unknowingly, the data roaming package by about 5X. Know what you are doing if you take a phone to Europe.
mark_42
32 MB

Post by mark_42 » May 11th, 2011, 5:59 pm

It's also a good idea to turn off data roaming no matter where you are. Frankly I feel that off should be the default.