iOS 7 Buglist

mark_42
32 MB
iOS 7 Buglist

Post by mark_42 » March 5th, 2014, 6:21 am

I've had problems with iOS 7 since day one. I posted a tirade in the Apple Discussion forums and it was promptly deleted so I'll post it here. Please let me know if you're having similar problems and if you've come up with any solutions. So here it is...

First was “Other” memory getting out of hand. I’ve had over 6 GB used while a friend had over 8.5 GB used. I’d call it a memory management issue but it’s so much more complex than that.

Music videos loaded on the iPhone would randomly show the iCloud icon indicating that they were no longer on the phone. The cloud icon would appear next to 10% to 40% of the videos, and would randomly change to other videos upon closing and reopening the Videos app.

All the videos played in airplane mode indicating they were on the phone and not being streamed.

Opening the iPhone’s music library in iTunes would show many songs marked with a circle comprised of a dotted line to the left of the name indicating that (according to the Apple senior advisor I was speaking with at the time) the songs had not synced properly. Again, they played with Airplane mode enabled so the icon was displayed in error.

At one point, while monitoring “Other”, I noted the phone had 2.8 GB of “Other” in use and 6.5 GB free. I deleted an audio book and replaced it with another and then synced. “Other” and “Books” (print, not audio and totaling125.8 MB) vanished and the phone showed over 19 GB free. As I hovered the pointer over “Audio”, “Video”, “Apps”, “Photos”, “Documents & Data” and “Free”, I totaled the memory used per section and found roughy 67.5 GB. This is a 64 GB iPhone.

Incidentally, I was in a screen sharing session with Apple tech support at the time.

I also found one movie and three TV shows in the Videos app that weren’t selected to sync to the phone. They had been streamed and sent to an Apple TV via AirPlay and shouldn’t have been retained. Deleting them showed that the memory in which they were stored was listed as “Other”, not “Videos”.

With Sync this iPhone over WiFi checked, It’s been uncertain if the iPhone would appear under Devices if the iPhone wasn’t connected by cable. Results are random and no discernible pattern can be ascertained.

A recent problem was that I downloaded the Disney App and downloaded a free copy of a movie. I decided it wasn’t worth the space so I deleted it. Strangely, the space wasn’t returned and “Other” didn’t increase.

Then there are random App crashes and once or twice the phone restarted afterward.

Naturally I tried *EVERY* troubleshooting step suggested by the Apple techs to no avail.

So, any similar problems? Any solutions? I've loved the iPhone since day one and think the 5S is the best of the bunch, but the OS problems have me starting to think that it may be time for a change.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: iOS 7 Buglist

Post by Turboladdade » March 7th, 2014, 10:23 am

Here are just some of my quick thoughts on some of your points. One thing to remember is posting a wall of text anywhere will make you less likely to get a response, whether it's at Info-Mac or Apple's support forums. Anyways...
mark_42 wrote:First was “Other” memory getting out of hand. I’ve had over 6 GB used while a friend had over 8.5 GB used. I’d call it a memory management issue but it’s so much more complex than that.
I find this is almost always huge amounts of images and videos saved in iMessage.
mark_42 wrote:Music videos loaded on the iPhone would randomly show the iCloud icon indicating that they were no longer on the phone. The cloud icon would appear next to 10% to 40% of the videos, and would randomly change to other videos upon closing and reopening the Videos app.
What exactly is "the Videos app" ?
mark_42 wrote:All the videos played in airplane mode indicating they were on the phone and not being streamed.
That doesn't necessarily mean when you are connected to the internet they won't be streamed.
mark_42 wrote:At one point, while monitoring “Other”, I noted the phone had 2.8 GB of “Other” in use and 6.5 GB free. I deleted an audio book and replaced it with another and then synced. “Other” and “Books” (print, not audio and totaling125.8 MB) vanished and the phone showed over 19 GB free. As I hovered the pointer over “Audio”, “Video”, “Apps”, “Photos”, “Documents & Data” and “Free”, I totaled the memory used per section and found roughy 67.5 GB. This is a 64 GB iPhone.
Whatever iTunes reports isn't always accurate or reliable. Best to go by off what you're phone says.
mark_42 wrote:I also found one movie and three TV shows in the Videos app that weren’t selected to sync to the phone. They had been streamed and sent to an Apple TV via AirPlay and shouldn’t have been retained. Deleting them showed that the memory in which they were stored was listed as “Other”, not “Videos”.
See above.
mark_42 wrote:With Sync this iPhone over WiFi checked, It’s been uncertain if the iPhone would appear under Devices if the iPhone wasn’t connected by cable. Results are random and no discernible pattern can be ascertained.
I find sync over wifi problematic. Solution: don't use it.
mark_42 wrote:A recent problem was that I downloaded the Disney App and downloaded a free copy of a movie. I decided it wasn’t worth the space so I deleted it. Strangely, the space wasn’t returned and “Other” didn’t increase.
On your phone or in iTunes? Did you restart the phone?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
mark_42
32 MB

Post by mark_42 » March 7th, 2014, 2:36 pm

I’m not really big into texting and I delete the few non-text messages that I get. We determined early on that the problem wasn’t coming from there.

Er… the Videos app is the first party app called Videos. It’s the Apple supplied app used to play the movies, music, etc., that either get downloaded from the iTunes store or synced from iTunes.

In normal usage, any material in iCloud and not on the phone would show an iCloud icon next to them. When in Airplane mode all radios get turned off and any videos so marked should vanish, indicating that streaming isn’t possible.

In my case 3-4 vanish, as they should, but others remain and are playable, indicating that the icons are showing in error. Also, the icons appear in repeating patterns like 3 off, 2 on, 1 off, 1 on, 3 off, 2 on, 1 off, 1 on, and so on. The pattern can vary but there’s always a pattern. In my last conversation on this ticket, the tech had me take two iPhone screenshots of the Videos app displaying iCloud icons, one with airplane mode off and one with it on to send to the engineering department.

Incidentally, I’ve only seen this happen with music videos. I tend to have quite a few of them on the phone since I send my entire music library to my phone. Movies and TV shows may, on occasion, get loaded one or two at a time, but that’s done deliberately through a sync or downloaded while on wifi and are deleted immediately after being watched. I make it a point not to stream while on a cell network due to data plan considerations. Any other videos would be listed under Home Videos and wouldn’t be eligible for loading into the cloud.

iTunes memory reporting is pretty buggy, true, but that’s the only place “other” can be monitored. I’d like to be able to ignore “Other”, but since I found four videos that I had streamed hiding there, I need to keep an eye on it since iOS 7 seems to forget to reallocate space on occasion.

I tend to trust the phone’s reporting of memory to be more reliable than iTunes’, but that’s like saying a Trabant is more reliable than a Yugo. When iTunes was reporting 67.5 GB total, so was the phone. <sigh>

Syncing over WiFi isn't the issue, it's having the phone appear in the first place. They’re both on the same network so the phone should appear under devices whenever it’s on.

The thing with the Disney app and movie were done over WiFi on the phone. Incidentally, I do cycle the power on the phone. I also reset the phone. Neither helps. That’s why I do a restore every couple weeks. As soon as I see the clouds in the Videos app, I know the phone is going to start acting more and more bizarre so I’ve been doing it as a preventative measure. A preemptive strike against the wonkiness that’s sure to come.

iO 7.1 should be out very soon if the rumor mill is right, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 7th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Oh I somehow read that as you were using a Videos app on a desktop computer along with iTunes.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.