The Super Duper American Presidential Election Thread

Who do you currently support for president?

McCain / Palin
71%
Obama / Biden
No votes
Other / Third-Party
14%
Unsure / Undecided
14%

Total votes: 7
Turboladdade
1024 MB
The Super Duper American Presidential Election Thread

Post by Turboladdade » January 10th, 2008, 7:27 pm

Listed are the top five candidates from both parties, in alphabetical order. Choose who you currently support for the running. You can change your vote at any time. Candidates will be removed when they drop.

EDIT:

I've restarted this poll as a McCain vs. Obama poll. Let us know what you think.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
mrkramer
32 MB

Re: The Super Duper American Presidential Election Thread

Post by mrkramer » January 10th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Of the ones that were listed I prefer Obama, but I think out of everyone running I like Ron Paul the best even though he doesn't have much of a real chance.
squiffy
16 MB

Post by squiffy » January 10th, 2008, 11:37 pm

I like Ron Paul. He has no chance of getting the nomination, however. Something about adhering to the constitution just scares most people in this country.
Anything posted by me is not to be taken seriously.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » January 11th, 2008, 12:02 am

I think it's just that some of us don't consider the Constitution quite so holy as Ron Paul does. That's why we have amendments. While it makes for an excellent guiding light, I don't think it's reasonable or wise to take a strictly literal interpretation of it at any cost, especially since it's over 200 years old. When it was written, the world was nowhere near as complex as it is today.

I consider myself a conservative, but not quite that conservative. You're right about one thing though - watching Ron Paul ramble on behind the podium is scary.
squiffy
16 MB

Post by squiffy » January 11th, 2008, 2:07 am

Dear Mr. D, you are seriously misguided and deluded. The Constitution is the supreme law of our land. To believe in its relevance is not a conservative or liberal concern, but an issue of freedom and liberty.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » January 11th, 2008, 2:57 am

squiffy wrote:Dear Mr. D, you are seriously misguided and deluded. The Constitution is the supreme law of our land. To believe in its relevance is not a conservative or liberal concern, but an issue of freedom and liberty.
Er... I simply said we don't always have to take the most literal interpretation of it. When people use Ron Paul's strict "defense" of the constitution as his shining value over all other candidates, well I simply don't buy that.
mrkramer
32 MB

Post by mrkramer » January 11th, 2008, 4:37 pm

D wrote:I think it's just that some of us don't consider the Constitution quite so holy as Ron Paul does. That's why we have amendments. While it makes for an excellent guiding light, I don't think it's reasonable or wise to take a strictly literal interpretation of it at any cost, especially since it's over 200 years old. When it was written, the world was nowhere near as complex as it is today.
The reason why we have amendments is so that the Constitution can keep up with the world, if something has become more complex than it was when the Constitution was originally written, then an amendments can be made and the Constitution can still be kept where a literal interpretation will be just as useful now as it was in the past.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » January 31st, 2008, 2:18 pm

Well quite a bit has changed since this thread was posted. My vote is now for McCain.
squiffy
16 MB

Post by squiffy » February 2nd, 2008, 3:31 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Sorry, no love for the M guy. He's no friend of free speech or lower taxes. I find him to be quite the authoritarian bastard sort of person.

Yes, I'm quite the low taxes, small government, get out of my way sort of person. In case you were wondering.
minimalist
16 MB

Post by minimalist » February 18th, 2008, 7:23 pm

I don't have a preference being that I'm not an American. Although some might argue that being Canadian and living on the Canadian/U.S. border might instill an interest in American politics -- particularly the politics of those vying for the most powerful position in the free world -- in me, I prefer to just mind my own business. I will say that I know who I would like to see fight it out come November. ie. I know who I want to win the Democratic nomination and who I want to win the Republican nomination. I just don't have a preference for who I'd like to see win the presidency.
I don't want a silverlining; I want justice! I don't want excuses; I want answers! I don't want an opportunity; I want compensation! I don't want love; I want privacy!
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » September 5th, 2008, 10:37 am

Well, it's been many months since this poll was started. I've relaunched it now as a McCain / Obama general election poll. So let's hear what you have to say...
mrkramer
32 MB

Post by mrkramer » September 7th, 2008, 6:10 pm

I am currently planning on voting for Bob Barr, since I don't really care for McCain or Obama.
kriegvision
32 MB

Post by kriegvision » September 10th, 2008, 2:25 pm

I picked unsure/undecided because I've yet to be totally convinced by either candidate to vote for them.