MacBook Air External DVD on Other Macs?

Turboladdade
1024 MB
MacBook Air External DVD on Other Macs?

Post by Turboladdade » January 15th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Simple enough... anyone have any thoughts about the external DVD drive intended for use with the MacBook Air being used on an iMac or something else?

$99 isn't too shabby of a price for something as elegant and nice as it is.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
mrkramer
32 MB

Re: MacBook Air External DVD on Other Macs?

Post by mrkramer » January 15th, 2008, 10:16 pm

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but I would wait until someone gets one with their notebook and tries it on their mac before buying.
Shanghai
4 MB

Post by Shanghai » January 19th, 2008, 11:46 pm

There's really no logical reason for Apple to stop people from using the AirDrive with other Macs. It should work just fine. I imagine it would look great under a mini. :)
jcozzitorto
1 MB

Post by jcozzitorto » February 5th, 2008, 11:07 am

I think the drive draws more power than standard USB 2.0 ports provide. The MBA's ports were specifically designed to provide the drive with enough power to run.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » March 8th, 2008, 8:44 pm

This is correct. The MBA external Superdrive is a new beast requiring more power than one USB2 port on any other Mac can provide. So the practical answer (and Apple's official answer) is "no."

It would be interesting, however, to see if my cable for my USB2 external HD -- which has TWO usb plugs one one end for extra power -- would make the MBA's Superdrive function with another Mac. No reason it shouldn't, and if so that would make a fairly inexpensive way for the MBA's drive to function with other machines (Mac or even PC!).
rgray
1 MB

Post by rgray » March 8th, 2008, 8:58 pm

It would be interesting, however, to see if my cable for my USB2 external HD -- which has TWO usb plugs one one end for extra power -- would make the MBA's Superdrive function with another Mac. No reason it shouldn't, and if so that would make a fairly inexpensive way for the MBA's drive to function with other machines (Mac or even PC!).
This won't work because the cable on the MBA Superdrive is built in.
jwpacker
16 MB

Post by jwpacker » April 24th, 2008, 10:54 am

rgray wrote:This won't work because the cable on the MBA Superdrive is built in.
But would it work, do you think, if someone were to have an adpater that had two USB connectors that fed into a single female USB A interface? Like this one, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Power-Adapter ... B000JIOHDE