No votes
I never heard of MacHeist
11%

Total votes: 9
macuser77
32 MB
MacHeist II

Post by macuser77 » January 31st, 2008, 9:51 am

In case you hadn't heard, Macheist II, a bundle of 14 3rd party applications valued over $400, was available for $49 for a about two weeks. A debate has stirred up among the Mac Community, about wether or not selling this bundle is good for the third party software business.

One side of the debate centers its arguments that it is not good for 3rd party developers, based upon an influx of potential tech support issues, devaluation of software (several of the 14 programs offered are normally for sale for over $50).

The other side argues that tech support is not really an issue, customers would be more likely to upgrade to later versions further down the road, and that overall, This introduces 3rd party developers to customers that otherwise, would never have heard about them.

Macheist also gave a portion of the proceeds to various charities. Check out http://www.macheist.com to learn more
Proud Mac User since 1999.
Friends don't let Friends use Windows.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: MacHeist II

Post by Turboladdade » January 31st, 2008, 12:01 pm

I see nothing wrong with this brief promotional competition/game thing. I've never personally participated though.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
mrkramer
32 MB

Post by mrkramer » February 1st, 2008, 5:09 pm

I don't see a problem with it if as long as all of the software developers don't mind their programs being sold for that price.
squiffy
16 MB

Post by squiffy » February 2nd, 2008, 3:25 am

macuser77 wrote:customers would be more likely to upgrade to later versions further down the road

This applies to me. I never would have bought some of these apps on their own. Now I'm sold, and they own me. Sort of.
Anything posted by me is not to be taken seriously.
lessthanthree
4 MB

Post by lessthanthree » April 7th, 2009, 12:35 pm

I recently partook in MacHeist III, and got nearly $2000 of software for $31 ($39 minus my $8 discount). The software available was excellent (DEVONThink, Delicious Library 2, and BoinxTV ($299)), and I'm definitely happy with the price I paid.

I think it must benefit the developers, otherwise they wouldn't agree to doing it. I know that this year the developers get a share of the total revenue, which is obviously better than the flat fee they used to get.
JayVig
16 MB

Post by JayVig » April 7th, 2009, 7:33 pm

I'm with you lessthanthree. Delicious library is fantastic. So is eventbox. I can't even think of all the software I've gotten at this point but it's been great. I can't wait for MH4 which won't be for a while. This is a great concept.
Old Fave Unix Humor:
chmod a+x /bin/laden
Allows all users the permissions to execute Bin Laden