Airport hardware problems

dumpsterdiver
4 MB
Airport hardware problems

Post by dumpsterdiver » April 25th, 2008, 2:16 pm

I have been trying to use my wife's Titanium G4 for wireless. It has a working Airport card I installed and it shows up in the profile lists. But I get no signals coming up like I do with our other G4. A few years back she dropped the laptop and dented the side the airport card is in. I see a small circuit board on that side where the antenna wire goes to. Could that be cracked? I am not sure how to get to it and check it out. Or is there something else that might have happened? Any thoughts?

Randy
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Airport hardware problems

Post by Turboladdade » April 25th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Damage to the area that the AirPort antennas are located could certainly cause a deterioration, or complete loss of reception. As I recall, however, TiBooks are notorious for bad AirPort reception and very short range. You should first verify that this is not the problem by getting as close as possible to your wireless router and see that you still do not pick up any reception.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
jwpacker
16 MB

Re: Airport hardware problems

Post by jwpacker » April 29th, 2008, 3:19 pm

I've also heard that it's possible to think you have the antenna attached, but it's only partially conected. Press down on the antenna connector and see if you can't get a second "snap" out of it to ensure it's really seated. It will help immensely, from my recollections.