Microsoft Word 5.1

JasonWright
1 MB
Microsoft Word 5.1

Post by JasonWright » November 20th, 2008, 3:51 pm

I have several old macs in the garage and they would be perfect for my daughters in elementary school.

I have come across Word 5.1 install floppies on ebay at ridiculous prices from $50-$75. (I remember paying around $125 for Word in 1993)

Any one know where I can find Microsoft Word 5.1 install floppies (or disc images) at a decent price?
I'm pretty sure that these are becoming hard to come by nowadays. Perhaps they are becoming collector items??

Thanks,

Jason
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Microsoft Word 5.1

Post by Turboladdade » November 20th, 2008, 4:29 pm

If any of them are PowerPC, then Office 98 would be much easier to come by, and more useful.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
davidchristmass
16 MB

Post by davidchristmass » October 17th, 2011, 1:38 am

Nisus Writer does 5.1, go for that one, you will love me for the future, it saves files as text formats, no more arsing with file formats. Word 5.1 is good, and I ran it on 7 but MS changed the file format in 97 and 98 so docs don't open to read, and there was no fix given by the MS boys. Also on 8, word 5.1 caused randon hangs, after the MS package lost its nickers, on trying to open documents of other formats. So basically the package was arsing things up to get you to upgrade to their new file format packages. Get off of the MS ride, it left me with Excel spreadsheets, I could not open on systems later than 7. Excel ver 1. differs to 2, and their is no file filter. I don't want to say nothing bad about MS, but their persisant sucking on finances, for new and new, attempts at file formats, really are the pits. Most academics remember, that NT was gonna be the system, after 95. People made major investments, and 3 years after, MS just dumps it. Terrible company, terrible behaviour, when the Gates boys made 5.1 and 6 they new what they were writing, but then the other clowns turned up, not knowing what went on before, reinvented the floppy disk format, and the Word file format, and the OS's. Aweful, behaviour, it screwed up many a good company. Get into Nisus, promise, your letters can be read as text, and will be readable for eons to come.
reukiodo
1 MB

Post by reukiodo » December 4th, 2016, 4:38 am

See http://forums.system7today.com/viewtopic.php?t=2895 which links to Microsoft's importer for Mac:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=18793
and if you need to convert first from the new ___x formats:
http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html
davidchristmass
16 MB

Post by davidchristmass » December 5th, 2016, 10:01 am

Online, you can find disk images, for Word 5.1, Software has a 10 year copyright restriction, after 10 years, all software becomes public domain, that means its free to exchange.

Personally I got away from Word, way back years ago. I still run my Mac OS using 8.6, and it still it appears to have more use value than a shop window of a tablet.

I like the way Mac OS runs, and find the new methods a positive obstruction.

Actually I found the ZX spectrum more use value as a computer, as you can program it, but that got resolved with the Metal software compiler.

I tend to steer off Microscoft, because its so obstructive in design. The only Microscoft computer I use is here at the library, Id would much rather be using mac os.
rosso
16 MB

Post by rosso » February 25th, 2017, 9:48 am

Hi,

Just thought I'd direct the OP to this:

https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-word/5x-mac

Not actualy tried the download as I have a copy but as other posters note, Office for Mac97 has a generally better version of Word - Which I run on a PPC with Classic.

hth's
rosso
16 MB

Post by rosso » February 26th, 2017, 8:18 am

...also, if you do have Word 98, you could choose; Use Word 5.1 Menus

But they not be what you are after.

Look great tho' on my Tiger OSX running Classic with the traditional Black and White window.

:)