Quadra 610 Startup Problem.

gazarcher
4 MB
Quadra 610 Startup Problem.

Post by gazarcher » January 11th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Hello All, I've just joined info-mac.

We (my family) had a Quadra 610 we purchased in January 1994 and used for nearly 5 years without problems. It got less used when we bought other new computers (we currently own one of the latest iMacs), but I never wanted to get rid of it.

We had kids and so had "At Ease" installed. As the years went by, the Quadra 610 sat in my son's room unused.

Recently, I thought I'd start her up and play some of the cool games we had installed (remember "Warlords II"?), but couldn't get past the "At Ease" passwords, we'd forgotten them all!

To cut the long story short, I managed to find a way past "At Ease" by booting with the "Disk Tools" floppy disk and disabling "At Ease". I booted normally and was very happy to see the regular, old Mac desktop (OS version 7.5.5). I had booted and rebooted two or three times just to make sure things were OK.

Then I spent several hours rediscovering the programs, games and utilities I'd installed all those years ago.

I was having too much fun and the session was going well past my bedtime :-) Suddenly, we had a power cut (the Quadra 610 is protected by a surge protector) and the Quadra 610 powered off, but the power came right back on. It was probably "somebody" telling me to get off to bed, so I left it until the next day.

The next day, I powered on the Quadra 610, but got the disk icon with the blinking question mark :-( I tried a few times, but nothing doing. I booted with the "Disk Tools" floppy disk. The only thing I could see with the Finder was the "Disk Tools" disk, there was no sign of the Quadra 610's hard drive. It's as if there isn't one there any more.

My first thought is that the hard disk drive controller was somehow zapped by a power surge when we had our power cut or when the power came right back on again. I can't understand how this happened since the Quadra 610 is supposedly protected by a surge protector.

After all these years of non-use, I can't believe after playing with the Quadra 610 for one day that some power cut has basically killed it. Despite it being an old computer that nobody uses any more, I'm still pretty down about it.

Can anyone suggest a way to access the hard drive drive? Am I right in thinking it is now a dead drive (zapped controller, perhaps?)? Is there a part I could try replacing to revive the drive? I know I could probably get a new drive, but all my stuff is lost on the old one (hmmm, I know I have a backup somewhere...).

Any ideas, suggestions or comments are welcome, even if it is to confirm the drive is dead.

Basically, if the drive is truly dead, it's probably going to be the final R.I.P. for my Quadra 610, I may not want to spend any more time, money or energy trying to revive it (again!). Such a shame though. A nice computer.

Thanks,
- gazarcher
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Quadra 610 Startup Problem.

Post by Turboladdade » January 11th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Boot from the Disk Tools disk again, run Drive Setup or whatever disk utility is on the disk, and see if that can see your drive. If so, it may be able to repair it (Disk First Aid perhaps?)
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
gazarcher
4 MB

Post by gazarcher » January 11th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Hello, thank you for your response.

Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that when I booted with the Disk Tools disk I did open the "Disk First Aid" utility (the only program on the disk...) and it does not see the hard disk drive :-(
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » January 11th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Yes, but also check it in Drive Setup or SCSI Setup or whatever the disk partition / formatting utility is called on your disk. If that can see your drive, then it is unlikely to be a controller problem.

Disk First Aid only repairs partitions that it can see - it doesn't check for the drive itself.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
gazarcher
4 MB

Post by gazarcher » January 13th, 2009, 11:38 am

OK, that explains why I don't see the hard disk drive in Disk First Aid, thank you.

Unfortunately, as I said earlier, there are no other programs on my Disk Tools floppy diskette (don't ask me why, I made that disk over 10 years ago and simply can't remember!).

I found a ton of software and books for my Quadra in the attic the other day (what a treasure trove!), so I'll have to rummage around that lot for any other disks that may have Drive Setup or SCSI Setup on them. I'm at work at the moment, so I'll check later.

In the meantime, a Mac addict here at work has suggested I try zapping the PRAM.

As you may know, the PRAM stores all sorts of things about the Mac (see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379), including the location of the startup disk. I'll try this if I can't find the Drive Setup utility or if that doesn't see the hard disk drive, since zapping the PRAM resets all sorts of stuff, including System preferences.

Hmmm, even if I can't find my Drive Setup utility, it appears I can download several versions of it from various places on the Internet. I hope I can find some way of putting it on my Disk Tools floppy diskette!

- gazarcher
gazarcher
4 MB

Post by gazarcher » January 18th, 2009, 5:15 pm

I was able to find a copy of Drive Setup on the Internet. The Low End Mac Website suggested I use version 1.5 for my Quadra which is running OS 7.5.5 (see http://lowendmac.com/sable/07/mac-drive ... patch.html for more information).

Meanwhile a friend gave me a Mac OS 7.6.1 install CD to use -- this had Drive Setup version 1.2.2 on it.

I started up my Quadra with the Mac OS 7.6.1 install CD. The only thing showing on the desktop was the CD, still no sign of the hard disk drive. I found and opened up the Drive Setup 1.2.2 utility, but got an error message. I forgot the exact message now, but it basically implied that it could not run on my computer, which I thought was very strange.

Still resisting the now strong urge to zap the PRAM to see if that fixed my Quadra, I decided to try creating a new CD (on my iMac) from the Mac OS 7.6.1 install CD and add the Drive Setup 1.5 utility I downloaded from the Internet, then try that.

I started up my Quadra with the "new enhanced" Mac OS 7.6.1 install CD I had created loaded in the disk caddy...

...lo and behold, the Quadra started up with it's own hard disk drive!!!

It started with that drive because I didn't hold down any keys to force a start up from any other drive since the Quadra couldn't see the hard disk drive before anyway.

So, I have no idea what happened (no technical rationality), all I know is that my Quadra can boot from it's own hard disk drive again!!! I removed the CD and rebooted, just to make sure, and it reboots on it's own every single time.

Oddly enough, when I inspected the "new enhanced" Mac OS 7.6.1 install CD I had created I could not find the Drive Setup 1.5 folder I had added to the disk image. So I did something wrong when I created the new disk image.

No matter, I got my old Quadra back up and running!

I never could find my original Mac OS install disk (version 7.1.1, I think), but I have found loads of old software and books for the Quadra in my attic (has been stored there for probably 10 years!). The memories come flooding back when going through that lot...

Many thanks to Dan for all his tips and suggestions.

Cheers,
- Garry ("gazarcher")