extension manager

ray
16 MB
extension manager

Post by ray » June 13th, 2009, 4:38 am

Hi,

Space is not getting me to the extension manager on a malfunctioning mac. I tried all the keystrokes that are suggested in the mac upgrade and repair book. Any other keystroke to try. Mac is failing with an illegal instruction. The G3 will boot with a G4 bootable CD but wont install. Any suggestions on clearing the illegal instruction??? Have no other CD that is bootable.

Thanks RAy.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: extension manager

Post by Turboladdade » June 13th, 2009, 11:08 am

So, you've booted with extensions disabled by holding down shift after the startup chime, and it's still saying illegal instruction? If that's the case, it may not be an extension problem.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
ray
16 MB

Post by ray » June 14th, 2009, 3:54 am

Hi,
Well it wont boot from the hard drive with extensions off. It looks like it is about to start loading extensions then it kicks out with the illegal instruction. I wanted to try to start it up without any non apple extensions. I was surprised the other day that one program will run while booted from the G4 CD. But claris works wont run. It kicks out with an error 10 and or an error 1. I keep forgetting to go and look at the error sheets to see what they are. Also the floopy works. I can drag stuff to it and load stuff from it. So that was heartening. I wanted to try the usb but have no printer in the CD booted finder. So is there a way to get a printer to the CD booted finder. Also this thing I downloaded I dont even know if it installed. I looked an deleted stuff it might have been. My reason for trying to use just apple extensions. I also intalled Palm stuff in the same time frame and it wouldnt work with the Palm so I deleted that. My reason for asking the question about 68k stuff on a PPC. I might be in some emulating area. The program that is running I dont think is PPC but claris works 5.0 probably is. Also when I try to run a browser it says I need 8.0 or later and then quits. So the OS on the hard drive is 9.1 and the CD is 9.0 so that is puzzling also.
Thanks RAy.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 14th, 2009, 11:22 am

ray wrote:I was surprised the other day that one program will run while booted from the G4 CD. But claris works wont run. It kicks out with an error 10 and or an error 1.
That isn't that surprising, the CD operating system is still the Mac OS, but with very few extensions (usually only networking and sometimes QuickTime extensions).

Super old Claris programs may not run in Mac OS 9.
ray wrote:So the OS on the hard drive is 9.1 and the CD is 9.0 so that is puzzling also.
9.1 is a freely downloadable update.

You probably should just find a retail Mac OS 9.x CD, reformat the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS 9. Afterwards, be sure to upgrade to Mac OS 9.1 or 9.2.2 (depending on your model) from Apple's website. Be sure to only install programs you really need. Classic Mac OS can be too easily confused and incapacitated by rogue or useless extensions.
ray
16 MB

Post by ray » June 15th, 2009, 3:01 am

Hi,
Okay I have never done a hard drive from scratch. I have several CD's with OS on them. 8.0 and 9.2.2. But these arent bootable so I have to have a working machine to install these updates. So once I get the drive reformatted I have to install OS and then I can install any updates. Is this correct????
Also since I will continue to use claris works 5.0 is there an OS I should stick with and not go any higher????
Thanks RAy.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 15th, 2009, 9:50 am

Yes... find a bootable Mac OS 9.x install CD, from the CD format the hard drive, reinstall the OS. Then boot it, download the above updates and install those.

ClarisWorks 5.x is fine for Mac OS 9. Be sure to download the AppleWorks 5.0.3 update which brings it to the latest version (and changes the name).