86%
Glossy
14%

Total votes: 22
Quail
4 MB
Matte or Glossy?

Post by Quail » March 13th, 2008, 12:38 am

Which have you purchased, are going to purchase, or prefer?

I personally prefer the matte screen.
Ask the experienced rather than the learned.
mrkramer
32 MB

Re: Matte or Glossy?

Post by mrkramer » March 16th, 2008, 3:34 pm

My preference is Matte.
jwpacker
16 MB

Post by jwpacker » April 24th, 2008, 10:47 am

I purchased glossy, and had no choice as I bought a Macbook. And I love it. The reflections that you do get are barely noticable, and tend to fade into the periphery when you're focussed on something in the foreground.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » April 24th, 2008, 11:00 am

I've yet to be convinced that the glossy displays are anything other than a gimmick.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
jwpacker
16 MB

Post by jwpacker » April 24th, 2008, 12:48 pm

D wrote:I've yet to be convinced that the glossy displays are anything other than a gimmick.
Have you used both side by side? I can't say I'm comparing apples and oranges, but I use matte displays on my PC at work and on the external montior it's hooked up to. And a glossy on my Macbook. And while the Macbook is significantly smaller, it is nicer to look at. I can't put my finger on why, because I do miss the wide open spaces on work setup.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » April 24th, 2008, 1:17 pm

jwpacker wrote:Have you used both side by side?
Yes of course, all the time!
jwpacker wrote:I can't put my finger on why
It's because the glossy coating artificially alters the appearance of the image.
jimisolo
1 MB

Post by jimisolo » June 7th, 2008, 7:57 am

I am a photographer and what I see on the monitor is what I get. Matte has always been my choice tho I do love glossy. I'd keep a glossy 24" at home (out of direct light for the sheer joy of it) but for work and my MBP it must be matte. ( I do have a 20" flat screen but it too is matte.) Actually my next purchase may be a 24" iMac or, should I win a lottery, A MacPro with a pair of 30" glossies. Always dream big...
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 7th, 2008, 10:15 am

I'm not so sure the 24" iMacs are "glossy" - isn't it just a pane of glass over the LCD screen?

My roommate has one and it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the glossy MacBooks do.
amandamac
1 MB

Post by amandamac » September 11th, 2008, 11:30 am

honestly, i love both. i have a macbook, so i have glossy.
but nothing is more beautiful then a 17" matte MBP.

you just cant deny your love for an "anti-glare" look.

and as far as the iMac is concerned, it is considered glossy.
i wish they would bring back the matte displays, or at least give the consumer a choice between the two.
But they are beautiful they way they are.
go Stevey j.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » September 11th, 2008, 11:32 am

My roommate has the 24" iMac and I don't think I'd consider it glossy. It has a piece of glass over what appears to be a regular matte LCD panel. I don't think that's the same thing as coating the LCD panel in a glossy finish.
sxbaan
8 MB

Post by sxbaan » September 24th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Apple seems to be heeding the cries of graphic designers everywhere with their reintroduction of matte displays on several MacBook models.
Ashman
1 MB

Post by Ashman » May 1st, 2010, 10:30 pm

I'm happy with the glossy been using several non glossy screens over the years on my pc computers. The glossy to me looks great. When compared to the matte I don't see much difference in picture quality if any at all.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » May 2nd, 2010, 2:27 am

I prefer glossy displays for home computers, since one can easily move the computer to avoid direct light and thus enjoy the advantages of glossy (sharper colours, deeper blacks).

But I can definitely see the point and value of matte screens (particularly for office/outdoor use). I don't find matte screens to be particularly advantageous on colour accuracy anymore.

I think the reason Apple went with glossy screens for all consumer computers was simple -- the consumer market has spoken on this issue, and they like glossy. Plus its a lot cheaper (because all Windows laptops use glossy screens, the price difference is noticeable in bulk purchasing). There may also be some environmental factor behind the glossy screens as well. Makes sense.

Matte screens are now a special-order item, and if Apple were a bit smarter about it could be a cash cow for them, but it seems they don't really want to get into that business and prefer to push the "anti-glare" option (as its again cheaper than going for a matte screen).
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com