MobileMe

ronf
8 MB
MobileMe

Post by ronf » November 23rd, 2009, 10:29 am

Any thoughts or comments regarding signing up
for and using this service? Is it worth the cost and what value does it add?

Thanks
kriegvision
32 MB

Re: MobileMe

Post by kriegvision » November 23rd, 2009, 7:41 pm

Well, technically you can achieve to some extent pretty much everything MobileMe does. The value is the fluid, integrated way that MobileMe services work together and work with your Mac.

So yes, it's worth it but only if you plan to use everything it offers. If, on the other hand, you only want a personal website then no, it probably isn't worth it.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » November 24th, 2009, 3:04 pm

I have been a member from day one, but I rarely pay full price for it. Check Amazon, check reputable dealers on Ebay. You should be able to find a legit one for 20-30 off the retail price.

I find the elegance, design, integration and LACK OF ADS to be big selling points, particularly the MobileMe gallery and the iWeb integration. I have galleries, blogs and podcasts, all of which I simply wouldn't have the wherewithal to do if Apple didn't make it so easy. Cobbling "Frankenstein" solutions together is for people who place no value on their time.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com
sxbaan
8 MB

Post by sxbaan » November 25th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Curious how eBay sellers can sell you a subscription Apple service? How does this work?
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » December 4th, 2009, 3:35 am

Sometimes they are just selling older stock for a loss, sometimes they are willing to make less off it than dealers, and sometimes -- sadly -- they are selling rip-offs, counterfeit and stolen codes.

I've bought MobileMe codes off Ebay and mine worked fine, probably because I dealt with a highly-rated seller who had an excellent reputation. As with anything off Ebay/Craigslist/etc, approach with great caution and eyes wide open.

As for "how it works," the "box" of MobileMe has a disc and a code in the box. All you actually need is the code, the disc is just courtesy stuff. Thus, dealers can (once payment is received) just email you the code. Some will also mail you the box as a courtesy/proof of payment.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com
Rachel
1 MB

Post by Rachel » January 25th, 2010, 9:22 pm

MobileMe is AMAZING! I love the over the air contact, calendar and email sync.