iPod data to new MacBook

nsjewell
2 MB
iPod data to new MacBook

Post by nsjewell » February 28th, 2010, 6:54 pm

I have a new MacBook coming and was wondering if it was possible to put everything on my iPod onto my new iTunes.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: iPod data to new MacBook

Post by Turboladdade » February 28th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Well, yes there are tools to do that, however the easiest would be to copy your iTunes library directly from your old Mac or PC to your new Mac over a network connection. Is this not an option for you?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
nsjewell
2 MB

Post by nsjewell » February 28th, 2010, 8:26 pm

I have a Firewire but not quite sure how that would work. Not really the most tech savvy.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » February 28th, 2010, 8:36 pm

If your other Mac has FireWire, connect the two while your old one is off. Then, start the old one and immediately hold down T until you see a bouncing FireWire icon on the screen. It is then basically in an external hard drive mode, and you can access it on the new Mac as such.

On your new Mac, make sure iTunes isn't running, and browse to your user's Music folder. It'll be in Home -> Music. Inside the music folder will be a folder named iTunes. Rename this folder iTunes Backup (or something equivalent). Then, navigate the contents of your old Mac's hard drive until you come upon your old iTunes music folder. It'll be in Users -> username -> Music. Drag it into the same Music folder on your new Mac, and wait for the copy to finish. After it's done, launch iTunes to verify success. iTunes might ask your permission to upgrade your "old" iTunes music folder to this new version of iTunes.

Of course, if your old computer is a PC, then everything I just typed is useless. Let us know how that works out for you.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » March 1st, 2010, 12:39 am

The only thing I'm going to add to Turbladdade's brilliant answer is that on that last step ("After it's done, launch iTunes") if you'll do that holding the Option key down you will get a dialog asking you to either create a new library or pick an existing one. Do the latter and point it to your freshly-copied library. This will help prevent the possibility of iTunes not initially "seeing" the new library and creating a blank one instead.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 1st, 2010, 10:02 am

If you copied a library with the exact same name to the exact same place I don't think it would do that. It never didn't work for me.