iPhone photos to instant print kiosk

danger
4 MB
iPhone photos to instant print kiosk

Post by danger » March 25th, 2011, 6:43 pm

I thought I could just plug my iPhones USB into the instant photo kiosk like they have at walmart, walgreens, etc. But it doesn't work. Is there an ap for this or is it not possible or am I just too stupid to figure it out?
davidchristmass
16 MB

Re: iPhone photos to instant print kiosk

Post by davidchristmass » March 26th, 2011, 10:31 am

Goodday,

I presume you are trying to interface to the kiosk for legitate reasons of transferring files, like pictures to the kiosk for printing, not trying to bypass the pay facility.

The USB ports on kiosks are configured with standard drivers to accept USB disks. Port your pictures to the disk, and tranfer them to the kiosk that way.

Common mode Interfaces to connect computers are via usb are available, but you have to load the appropriate drivers on both machines. As you won't have admin privilages on the kiosk or the write drivers for their machine, direct connect via usb is not an option open to you on another machine.

Nope your not stupid, it is possible, but only with authority and correct control. Walmart just would not have the know about how to do that even if you asked them. Stick with the USB stick, its easier.

David Christmass
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 26th, 2011, 10:34 am

No. I don't think the iPhone reports itself as a camera or as a storage device to other devices you attach it to (and thus isn't recognized by those types of kiosks) because it has many more functions than just a simple camera or storage device. You must sync your photos with your computer first, then put them on a USB drive or CD, and then put that into the photo kiosk.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
danger
4 MB

Post by danger » March 27th, 2011, 12:15 pm

That's what I figured. Thanks to you both.
mark_42
32 MB

Post by mark_42 » March 27th, 2011, 5:36 pm

It could conceivably work, it just depends on the software on the kiosk. I have graphics software that sees my iPhone as a camera and offers to download the photos.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 27th, 2011, 5:45 pm

mark_42 wrote:It could conceivably work, it just depends on the software on the kiosk. I have graphics software that sees my iPhone as a camera and offers to download the photos.
Is it possible the software you're using has the specific capability to download from an iPhone? I'm pretty sure Apple offers frameworks for developers to access things like the photos on an iPhone.

What is the application in question?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
leonAzul
32 MB

Post by leonAzul » March 29th, 2011, 5:40 pm

mark_42 wrote:It could conceivably work, it just depends on the software on the kiosk. I have graphics software that sees my iPhone as a camera and offers to download the photos.
^^^^
This.

Most kiosks are set up to only recognize flash memory or generic USB mass storage devices. Unless a device explicitly emulates that mode, it won't be recognized, whether camera or mobile phone.
leonAzul
32 MB

Post by leonAzul » March 29th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Turboladdade wrote:
Is it possible the software you're using has the specific capability to download from an iPhone? I'm pretty sure Apple offers frameworks for developers to access things like the photos on an iPhone.

This typically takes place at the OS driver level. For the sake of interoperability, most OS vendors and most manufacturers have agreed to standard drivers for basic functions in various device classes, which the applications access, and any special features are a superset of this, rather than a complete re-write. So Apple frameworks are not necessary for basic functions like reading, or navigating a multi-media device like the iPhone as far as it complies with the standards.
mark_42
32 MB

Post by mark_42 » March 31st, 2011, 9:15 am

Turboladdade wrote:

That was GraphicConverter.