Restoring iPhone 3G and getting error code 6

Jmedillin
2 MB
Restoring iPhone 3G and getting error code 6

Post by Jmedillin » May 25th, 2011, 11:34 am

I have an iPhone 3G 8th that I have put into DFU mode. I have tried multiple time to restore it but it keeps coming up with error code 6. I have updated my MacBook air software, upgraded to the latest version of iTunes and still no luck. Error code 6 has to do with security compatibility from what I can tell but I just bought my Mac book and would think that the security would be fine. However I am still learning to navigate it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Restoring iPhone 3G and getting error code 6

Post by Turboladdade » May 25th, 2011, 11:49 am

Has this iPhone been jailbroken? Also what is the last version of iOS installed on this phone?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Jmedillin
2 MB

Post by Jmedillin » May 25th, 2011, 12:12 pm

I don't know the answer to that. The phone was brought to me because they said it wouldn't power up. When I hooked it up it I found that it was in restore mode. And it restored just fine. Then this morning I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't come on so I hooked to Mac and it was in restore mode again. Now it will not make it all the way through before it gives me an error code 6.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » May 25th, 2011, 12:17 pm

I guess the next question is, are you sure you're in DFU mode? DFU and recovery mode are different. If you see an iTunes icon with a plug image, you're in recovery mode. If you see nothing at all, that's DFU mode. DFU mode is used in worst-case scenarios, which might be what you're describing.

Instructions for getting into DFU mode:
  • Connect your iPhone to your computer.
  • Turn iPhone off.
  • Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
  • Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
  • A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
  • If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU.
Afterwards, try the full factory restore again.

If it still doesn't work then you've either got a hardware problem, or the iPhone has been damaged ("bricked") by the previous owner's jailbraking activities. Unfortunately that is outside my area of expertise, hopefully someone else can chime in on this.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.