25%
POS
No votes

Total votes: 8
Turboladdade
1024 MB
Lion Field Reports

Post by Turboladdade » July 21st, 2011, 9:28 am

Have you installed Lion? Post your first impressions here.

So far I've been liking everything about it, all the changes really seem to add robustness to the user experience. I'm still finding the new reversed scrolling unusual, but only because of habit. I also found one bug already, when starting up Safari and directly switching to the Dashboard, the Safari wind appears inside the Dashboard.

I'm really enjoying the ability to flip through full-screen apps and my desktop, and Mission Control is pretty sweet too.
Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 10.32.36 AM.png
Spotlight is still indexing several hours later though...
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
bluesgent
2 MB

Re: Lion Field Reports

Post by bluesgent » July 21st, 2011, 3:33 pm

Boot to the restore drive does not work (command-R). Far as can tell the hidden drive isn't there. In addition, booting to usb drive holding option doesn't work. The App Launcher is pretty useless in its present form. Lion was installed onto my new iMac i7.
bluesgent
2 MB

Post by bluesgent » July 21st, 2011, 6:23 pm

bluesgent wrote:Boot to the restore drive does not work (command-R). Far as can tell the hidden drive isn't there. In addition, booting to usb drive holding option doesn't work. The App Launcher is pretty useless in its present form. Lion was installed onto my new iMac i7.
Update! You can't do the above with a wireless keyboard. I used My full wired keyboard which worked for both types of reboot. I have them both hooked up.
chipperz
16 MB

Post by chipperz » July 24th, 2011, 6:53 pm

The latest of OS X's babies has grown u quickly. That 3.49 GB download came through quickly...a little less that 1hour 30 minutes. It runs well on my MacBook Pro mid-2010 with the i7 2.9 GHz, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HD. I had a few programs that didn't survive the transition, but I knew about them beforehand, so no loss as far as I was concerned. AppleWorks is a goner and all my fils have been converted to Pages and Numbers, so no loss. Quicken was a big loss. I tried Quicken Essentials, but its conversion process left me with so many errors, I trashed it. It transposed some info from one account to anther and it would take more time to correct the errors than it was worth. I repacked the CD and returned it to Quicken for a refund. I looked at iBank, but was not pleased with
the interface. I replaced Quicken with Moneydnce and all seems fine. Everything else runs fine and I hope for many more good years from OS X.
bluecabbie
2 MB

Post by bluecabbie » July 25th, 2011, 12:13 pm

There are many features that I love, but...

The all gray icons are bad. Why do I have a color screen. It is often difficult to tell if the gray icon is selected or grayed out.

I do not like things like scroll bar sliders that disappear when I am not scrolling. It is difficult to tell where I am in a document without scrolling again.

Whatever happened to "Instant Feedback"? One of the things that Apple always did right was to always provide the user with some kind of an indication the the mouse click or key press had been seen by the OS and accepted. Since the switchover to MacOSX, that is no longer true. Sometimes I end up clicking on a button three or four times before I discover that the click worked, but it just took 5 to 10 seconds to respond. I keep hoping with each OSX release that this will have been fixed, but alas no.

Double-tap and drag on my trackpad is great, except sometimes is misses my click to finish (no feedback again), so I start typing and nothing happens. This really slows me down.

Passwords have become a problem. There seem to be many apps that I can no longer install with my admin password. Instead I have to become root. This is not just bad, it is dangerous.

Some thing fail without telling me that they failed and I have to guess to find out why. An example is when I tried to install Avery Design Pro this morning. I download it, open the package, then start the install. I get the installer window and go through the steps till I finally get to the install button. I click on that, it looks like it accepts the click, but then it just does not do anything, I clicked it three times, then I quit and started over. Nothing. As a guess, I thing that it must be a permission problem, but I have not had a chance to track it back. Repair permissions does not help.

Lots of user interface wonderfulness, but in many other aspects the human interface is not what I expect from the Apple I have known and loved since the 1970s.
chipperz
16 MB

Post by chipperz » October 28th, 2011, 10:31 am

In a previous post I stated that Lion is good. After using it for a few months now, I have changed my opinion. I have had some problems with the way it takes over the computer and I don't need all the swipes and other accutrements that come with Lion. All I want is a basic OS. To me, the best OS X was Tiger. After that, Apple got into adding all these gestures, etc. which make computing more complex and bloats the OS. Some people just want a basic OS so they can surf the web and do minor things like word processing and some spreadsheets. Why can't Apple and MS and others just offer that. Why do the small users always have to suffer because the gamers want more? Don't tell me to just turn off those features, because that doesn't always work. Lion also doesn't work very well with Apple Mail. In fact, I can't even get it to wrk on my computer - i can neither receive or send emails with it. I have had to witch over to Thunderbird in order to receive any emails sent to my .me account.