Autostart server and clients

mindnut
1 MB
Autostart server and clients

Post by mindnut » August 26th, 2011, 9:12 am

I'm working on a video wall using 1 server and 4 client machines. I'd like to have arraysync launch at startup automatically starting the server while having the clients find the server and starting on their own. Is this possible or do I have to do this by hand everytime?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Autostart server and clients

Post by Turboladdade » August 26th, 2011, 1:52 pm

In the current version it's by hand unfortunately. Auto-starting is a glaring omission on my part, and will be in the next update I swear! It's the most common request I hear.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
nausus
4 MB

Post by nausus » August 31st, 2011, 12:42 pm

Hi, Turboladdade. This feature is highly important for me as well. I will use very simmilar or larger setup (5-7 computers managing 20 outputs) and I need this autostarting with predefined or saved setting urgently. WHEN will be next update ready? Please...
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » September 6th, 2011, 7:39 am

Hello, sorry about that…

I don't have a projected ETA on that update, other than to say as soon as possible. I have to do correct some crazy things with Apple's App Sore before I push out the update, so it'll at the very least be a few weeks.
nausus
4 MB

Post by nausus » September 27th, 2011, 11:54 am

Hi, Turboladdade. I am just finishing my new project (as I described on August 31st) and I urgently need auto starting function for it. Are there any news concerning this subject?
visionmill
4 MB

Post by visionmill » January 27th, 2012, 11:24 am

I've created an applescript to open the server and client and then start it. On the clients it will always select the first server in the list. Just add the script to your log in items.

Open applescript editor and copy the following code for the client into it:

Code: Select all

tell application "ArraySync Client"
	activate
end tell

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "ArraySync Client"
		tell menu bar 1
			tell menu bar item "Presentation"
				tell menu "Presentation"
					click menu item "Start Client"
				end tell
			end tell
		end tell
		key code 125
		key code 52
	end tell
end tell
Go to save as and give the file a name like Client Loader
Change the file format to Application

Go to System Preferences / Accounts and select your account.
Click on the Login Items tab and drag the file you just saved into the list

To get the server to start up automatically use the following applescript

Code: Select all

tell application "ArraySync"
	activate
end tell

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "ArraySync"
		tell menu bar 1
			tell menu bar item "Presentation"
				tell menu "Presentation"
					click menu item "Start Server"
				end tell
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
end tell
nausus
4 MB

Post by nausus » February 14th, 2012, 4:56 pm

visionmill wrote:I've created an applescript to open the server and client and then start it. On the clients it will always select the first server in the list. Just add the script to your log in items.

Open applescript editor and copy the following code for the client into it:
Nice to see first try how to solve this situation, thank you visionmill.
Is there any similar way to dot on Windows based system?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » February 14th, 2012, 5:38 pm

nausus wrote:Is there any similar way to dot on Windows based system?
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but auto-start and auto-connect are two things I'm definitely writing into the next version of ArraySync. The problem before was changing our company name at Apple, but now the big problem is continued delays over at Real Studio, with which ArraySync is created. They've been promising reworked QuickTime APIs for over a year now, and while I've seen alpha builds of it, it isn't ready for primetime yet. For awhile we've been expecting this to be in March, but now it's looking more like May. It's extremely frustrating.

The next update to ArraySync is sitting here, half-finished. It cannot proceed without the new QuickTime stuff, and it cannot go backwards because so much has been rewritten in preparation of the new stuff. So, it's kindof a sucky situation right now. The only thing I can do at the moment is move onto other projects until the time is write. I haven't even advertised or marketed ArraySync in any way for months now, which hits my own bottom line as well.
visionmill
4 MB

Post by visionmill » February 29th, 2012, 6:02 am

nausus wrote:
Nice to see first try how to solve this situation, thank you visionmill.
Is there any similar way to dot on Windows based system?
If you're on windows you may be able to do it with a macro recorder. If I get 5 minutes I'll knock one up but try autohotkey. You may need to put a delay in the script to ensure that it has time to detect the master. I've found that the more machines you add the longer it can take!
steve
2 MB

Post by steve » March 6th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Hi everybody, first post here... I'm considering bying the app for an installation of old Imac G3 (antique computing !!!).
They run the demo fine (with proprer "small" movies), but the applescript / automator solution provided for autostart doesn't work on PPC+OSX.4 platform (imacs G3). Well too bad, the app look very nice. (Installation have to startup automatically every morning)
Help appreciated of veterans applescript programmers :-) (I'm not a developer at all...)
best
steve
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 7th, 2013, 6:14 am

steve wrote:the applescript / automator solution provided for autostart doesn't work on PPC+OSX.4 platform (imacs G3). Well too bad, the app look very nice. (Installation have to startup automatically every morning)
Automator was first released with Mac OS X Tiger so you should be able to recreate them yourself in your iMac G3's copy of Automator. Fair warning though, the next ArraySync update will definitely not support PowerPC systems.
steve
2 MB

Post by steve » March 8th, 2013, 3:13 am

Thank you for your quick answer Turbo.
- The automator files provided doesn't run on PPC. I guess I should try to recreate them on a PPC/Tiger computer in automator. I have no PPC computer right now to try it, but I'll do asap.
- Would a 0.95 client on PPC be sync'ed with the next release running on Intel or PC ? can't wait to test the next release...

Why running on PPC machines ?...
--> They are cheap. (massive multi program at low cost.)
--> They look cool.
--> Nobody stole them :-)
--> in some occasions, they can be mixed with modern displays for a very pleasant effect.

congratulations for your work !
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 8th, 2013, 11:29 am

steve wrote:Thank you for your quick answer Turbo.
- The automator files provided doesn't run on PPC. I guess I should try to recreate them on a PPC/Tiger computer in automator. I have no PPC computer right now to try it, but I'll do asap.
- Would a 0.95 client on PPC be sync'ed with the next release running on Intel or PC ? can't wait to test the next release...

Why running on PPC machines ?...
--> They are cheap. (massive multi program at low cost.)
--> They look cool.
--> Nobody stole them :-)
--> in some occasions, they can be mixed with modern displays for a very pleasant effect.

congratulations for your work !
The next version is a complete rewrite, not an incremental improvement. The clients and servers won't sync. I won't be writing for PowerPC anymore because all the tools and utilities I use to create the program have dropped PowerPC support since the last version of ArraySync was released.
SlowMoDevTime
1 MB

Post by SlowMoDevTime » March 12th, 2013, 7:21 am

Turboladdade wrote:In the current version it's by hand unfortunately. Auto-starting is a glaring omission on my part, and will be in the next update I swear! It's the most common request I hear.
So.... Not trying to stir up trouble but WOW. Over a year and a half on auto start and it's still not working? What a basic concept to just leave out and worst of all, it's been over a year and a half and still no progress?? Damn, might as well give up on this one.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 12th, 2013, 9:24 am

SlowMoDevTime wrote:
Turboladdade wrote:In the current version it's by hand unfortunately. Auto-starting is a glaring omission on my part, and will be in the next update I swear! It's the most common request I hear.
So.... Not trying to stir up trouble but WOW. Over a year and a half on auto start and it's still not working? What a basic concept to just leave out and worst of all, it's been over a year and a half and still no progress?? Damn, might as well give up on this one.
Autostart actually works just fine using Automator. You can use my scripts here or create your own.
nausus
4 MB

Post by nausus » March 18th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Turboladdade wrote:
SlowMoDevTime wrote:
Autostart actually works just fine using Automator. You can use my scripts here or create your own.
So there is no solution for WIN platform? You have mentioned and an upgrade long time ago and there is still version 1.03 with no changes?? I bought ArraySync and I have used it on one installation of the large video wall. From this time I have after any power-down or system crash to remotely login to computer and start everything manually. :(

I am really disappointed! :-(