Un-Installers for PPC 2.7ghz Leopard?

OlSkule
8 MB
Un-Installers for PPC 2.7ghz Leopard?

Post by OlSkule » March 1st, 2012, 2:27 pm

Can anyone suggest an Un-Installer that I can run on my Dual PPC 2.7ghz Leopard box? I've got a desperately bloated boot drive and I need to thin my applications out a bit.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Un-Installers for PPC 2.7ghz Leopard?

Post by Turboladdade » March 1st, 2012, 3:40 pm

Don't waste your time, just backup your important personal files, music and photos, erase the drive and start anew.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
chipperz
16 MB

Post by chipperz » March 2nd, 2012, 11:57 am

I have used an app called "AppCleaner." It works well and can remove multiple apps ar a time. I'm not sure if it s available from te Apple Store. Just google appcleaner and it will take yu to a list of sites available. You can download it and the best part is - the appcleaner is free!
OlSkule
8 MB

Post by OlSkule » March 2nd, 2012, 1:52 pm

OK ... "AppCleaner" downloads, unpacks but errors out with a " ... Does Not Support This Architecture Error" when launched on my PPC 2.7 G5 running X.5.8 ... at least the 2.0.5 version that is currently available for download does on this box ... and thanks for the laff Turboladdade ... "Nuke and Repave" is your best suggestion ... I love it ... the scorched earth technique for disk maintenance ... chuckled for an hour ... careful who you give advise to dude ;-)
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 2nd, 2012, 2:04 pm

OlSkule wrote:and thanks for the laff Turboladdade ... "Nuke and Repave" is your best suggestion ... I love it ... the scorched earth technique for disk maintenance ... chuckled for an hour ... careful who you give advise to dude ;-)
What's hilarious about that... lots of people do that all the time when they somehow manage to fill their entire startup disk to capacity or when buying a new hard drive which is more or less the same effect.
OlSkule
8 MB

Post by OlSkule » March 2nd, 2012, 5:45 pm

What's hilarious? Come on ... that's equivalent to suggesting suicide first when someone has become obese ... sorry if I offended it's just that "nuke & repave" is always my last suggestion not my first ... even with the interests of saving time taken into consideration ... I do appreciate your candor though ... so any ideas why the "appcleaner" is puking with an "Architecture Error" at the OSS level?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 3rd, 2012, 11:57 am

OlSkule wrote:What's hilarious? Come on ... that's equivalent to suggesting suicide first when someone has become obese ... sorry if I offended it's just that "nuke & repave" is always my last suggestion not my first
I think you're over-thinking this. I would much rather do a clean install of Mac OS X and the apps I need than trust "appcleaner" or any such utility to exactly perfectly remove apps and settings and such. If you're on a G5 you probably have years and years of stuff you don't need. I have a 2006 Mac Pro and it's still on it's original partition with Mac OS X updates installed over the years, but I'm probably getting to the point of just getting new drives and starting over.
OlSkule
8 MB

Post by OlSkule » March 3rd, 2012, 12:34 pm

Not the first time I've been accused of that. No worries though ... I have this weird ongoing intellectual and practical "contest" with MTBFs. It's my background in very large scale industrial computing that prompts both the "over thinking" and "the contest" ...I'm sure you're right abut rubbish I don't need on my drives ... orphaned data ... support files from apps long deleted but the prospect of tidying up from Finder in a reverse hierarchical manner is just too tedious to contemplate ... not withstanding ... I have an original Mac running OS 6.2.9 still running on it's original hard disk. Good disk maintenance skills should encouraged and I'm trying my part. All that aside, I've read your previous posts, I've reviewed your profile and I ask for the 2nd time ... any ideas why an app that will download, unpack, correctly and fully readably install onto a PPC G5 2.7 running X.5.8 puke when instantiated for the first time with an "Architecture Error"?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 3rd, 2012, 1:48 pm

OlSkule wrote:any ideas why an app that will download, unpack, correctly and fully readably install onto a PPC G5 2.7 running X.5.8 puke when instantiated for the first time with an "Architecture Error"?
Because it requires an Intel processor.
OlSkule
8 MB

Post by OlSkule » March 5th, 2012, 11:28 am

Brevity is genius.
OlSkule
8 MB

Post by OlSkule » March 5th, 2012, 11:33 am

Here's the thing ... it's supposed to support the PPC arch ...
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 5th, 2012, 11:41 am

OlSkule wrote:Here's the thing ... it's supposed to support the PPC arch ...
Dude come on...
tadaa.jpg
It looks like you want the old version.
OlSkule
8 MB

Post by OlSkule » March 6th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Yep ... my bad ... specifically said I ran the 2.0.5 rev ... I'll Google the 1.2.2 rev in hopes of finding
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 6th, 2012, 12:45 pm

OlSkule wrote:Yep ... my bad ... specifically said I ran the 2.0.5 rev ... I'll Google the 1.2.2 rev in hopes of finding
It's available right on their website there... and here: http://www.freemacsoft.net/downloads/Ap ... r1.2.2.dmg
OlSkule
8 MB

Post by OlSkule » March 8th, 2012, 9:29 am

Thanks again Dan, I really appreciated the link ... and of course your time too