iPad iPhoto won't run

wpas
8 MB
iPad iPhoto won't run

Post by wpas » March 9th, 2012, 8:23 am

After initial installation of the new iPad iPhoto app, you run iPhoto.  It attempts to "Update photo library".  Approximately 3/4 through, the software crashes going first to a black screen, then to the iPad's Home screen.  IOS 5.1 installed. I have 90 albums and over 14,000 photos in the iPad "Photo" application.  Over 1.2GB of storage remaining and 189MB of memory during the iPhoto operation.
OlSkule
8 MB

Re: iPad iPhoto won't run

Post by OlSkule » March 11th, 2012, 12:50 pm

I can't test that behavior until after Mar 26 ...
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 11th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Whatever's happening, it sounds like a bug in a brand-new piece of software handling a very large photo library. It's unlikely that any of us will be able to help you just yet, until more people get their hands on this software and run into similar experiences and find workarounds. In the meantime I'd describe it exactly in a bug report to Apple, which you can submit specifically for iPhoto for iOS here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto_ios.html
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
wpas
8 MB

Post by wpas » March 14th, 2012, 1:59 pm

I have forwarded a bug report as informed above. Thank you for the link. From another forum I was told that my problem may be a corrupted image. While this is a possiblity, I informed Apple that if it is, they should have an error MSG reporting the image's file name as it will take some time to find the corrupted image.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 14th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Could be. It would suck, but if you really wanted to go for it, I'd just try clearing the phone of photos (after backing up, of course), reinstall or relaunch iPhoto (which should work with no photos), then try re-syncing your photos again maybe like 10 albums at a time.
OlSkule
8 MB

Post by OlSkule » March 15th, 2012, 10:57 am

I purposefully "corrupted" a jpeg file by changing the content of the file's prefix and then added it to a group of photos for inclusion in iPhoto. The photo did not get written to the iPhoto database. It did not cause an error during the load or immediately after. It did not impede the correct writing of the other photos that were not altered. All other photos in test loaded without incident. Initial observations suggest that iPhoto did not recognize the file even though the file's suffix was ".jpeg" and as a result iPhoto did not read in nor write out the file. This test was completed on a Mac Pro running OSX 7.3 & iLife 11.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 15th, 2012, 10:59 am

He's talking about iPhoto for iOS though, which is probably a completely different animal. Plus, if we're gonna get all geeky here I would try corrupting the binary data, like deleting or rearranging some section of it. You can do this by changing it's extension to .txt and opening in TextWrangler, copying some random block and then pasting it in randomly a bunch of times, then reverting the extension to .png. That'll corrupt the shit out of it.

EDIT: Actually, the mere act of opening it in TextWrangler, typing even one letter, and saving it will corrupt it nice and good.
wpas
8 MB

Post by wpas » March 15th, 2012, 2:49 pm

I will certainly keep your corrupting experiment in mind. Let's see if Apple responds to my feedback. Unfortunately I will not be home from vacation till the beginning of April to try anything. That will give Apple plenty of time to respond, if they do. I will post any response I receive from Apple here.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 15th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Just taking your phone to an Apple Store Genius Bar is probably a good idea. They're very lax about their adherence to the provisions of AppleCare, and generally I find they'll take care of just about everything, almost as if personally vested in the joy you get out of your Apple product. I've gotten repairs and even replacement Apple products both in and out of warranty just by going in and looking so gosh-darned disappointed.
OlSkule
8 MB

Post by OlSkule » March 18th, 2012, 12:29 pm

FedEx delivered mine Friday morning, I've installed iPhoto ... have not moved my libraries of data into the app yet ... iPhoto for the iPad is an amazing piece of work though ... it IS completely different from the Application perspective ... but iOS continues to look like UNIX ... smell like UNIX & run like UNIX ... complex gestures that are supported in OSX 7.-- are also supported in the mobile iPhoto version. Based solely on the few hours I have played with it so far it appears that the mobile app not only duplicates full features of the desktop version but may support features that the Desktop version does not yet offer. I'll keep you posted on the data loads as completed.
wpas
8 MB

Post by wpas » April 6th, 2012, 9:30 am

I'm the original input author to this link about iPhoto not running after it's initial installation. I had almost 17,000 images in the Photo app. iPhoto needed to build a library of those images. Even though it looked like I had plenty of memory left,the problem was that I was running out of memory while building the library. By eliminating some of the folders the iPhoto correctly built the initial library and is now working fine.
wpas
8 MB

Post by wpas » April 6th, 2012, 9:30 am

I'm the original input author to this link about iPhoto not running after it's initial installation. I had almost 17,000 images in the Photo app. iPhoto needed to build a library of those images. Even though it looked like I had plenty of memory left,the problem was that I was running out of memory while building the library. By eliminating some of the folders the iPhoto correctly built the initial library and is now working fine.
mattlawes
1 MB

Post by mattlawes » January 7th, 2013, 10:13 am

Do you have a camera for the iPad iphoto or not if you haven't it won't work