My iMac works slow - how to clean up?

Joanna
32 MB
Re: My iMac works slow - how to clean up?

Post by Joanna » December 16th, 2013, 11:49 am

Thank you.
robwaugh
1 MB

Post by robwaugh » March 26th, 2014, 10:06 am

Hello ~ I have crashed one iMac with MacKeeper, so I know that doesn't help my sluggishness problem. I have the same issue with my newer iMac, mostly with my MS Outlook, extremely sluggish, to the point that I use my Mobile devices over my desktop! I have 3 email accounts with over 200K emails! Yikes! I took a screen shot of my Activity Monitor...only 8Gs...so maybe I need more? Or is there a way to offload emails to save somewhere else? Many thanks! Robin : )/Users/robinmwaugh/Desktop/Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 10.50.42 AM.png
Joanna
32 MB

Post by Joanna » April 10th, 2014, 9:58 am

Hi Robin,
1) MacKeeper is not recommended by Mac community, there is no point installing or keeping it. I checked all files manually and there is almost no "trash" so to speak, Mac OS must take care of this on its own probably.
2) The problem is: MEMORY. Standard iMac comes with 4GB memory and unfortunately it is not enough. I made enquiry about my model (mid-2011) and I can have 16GB of memory. Bought 4x4 memory cards and going to replace it on my own. I got instruction from Apple site and it looks very easy so non-expert can do that. But first check your model to see if you can add memory by yourself (some models only by certified customer service which costs money), then how much memory makes sense for your model (for example I can have 32GB max but my model is only going to use 16GB so anything above it is a waste of money). Problem solved…

If you need any help I can send you the links to websites where to get more information. I learned something and I am willing to pass my knowledge now to others.