Concerns About OS X And MacBook Pro

MSPleiades
4 MB
Concerns About OS X And MacBook Pro

Post by MSPleiades » October 3rd, 2014, 5:10 am

Hello Every One,
I’m an IT Graduated Collage Student. I Have Used Windows For My Whole Life. And Now I’ve decided to buy a Laptop, and for some Reasons I Chose to Buy a MacBook Pro. But Before I Do So, I Had Some Concerns about the OS X and mac laptops in general. Before I start asking my questions I will tell you my basic needs for a laptop:

1) To be able to carry it around often.
2) Professional photo Editing (Photoshop).
3) Sound and Video Editing.
4) Programming in Java, C Or Python Languages.
5) 2D And 3D Modeling And Animations.
6) Surf The Internet And Reading Articles.
7) Watching Videos, Mostly In AVI And MKV Format.

Although I Currently Don’t Do some of the Needs I have Mentioned, But I Want To Buy A Laptop That Stay With Me For a Long Time, And I May Use Some Of Those Needs In The Future.
I have To Mention Though, That Budget Is Not a Concern for Me.

Here Are My Concerns About OS X And Mac Laptops:

1) Can Mac Laptop Support All the Needs I Have Mentioned, Perfectly?
2) Does Mac Support Adobe Flash And Adobe Flash Player?
3) Since My Field Of Study Is IT And Networks, Will This Laptop Support Me In This Major (By Major I Mean, Doing stuff like Connecting Bunch Of Computers Together, Or Using The Network Codes In The cmd, Like You can Do In Windows Or Unix OS)?

I Know That This Is A Mac Community, But I'd Be Really Grateful If You Answered My Questions Without Taking Sides.
Sorry For My Bad English And Grammar.
And Thank You Very Much.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Concerns About OS X And MacBook Pro

Post by Turboladdade » October 3rd, 2014, 6:59 am

Welcome to Info-Mac! Simple answers:

1) Yes
2) Yes, in fact most Flash content is created on Macs.
3) Yes, most all Linux/Unix commands work directly on Macs because Mac OS X is built on a UNIX foundation. You can also run Windows inside Mac OS X using free software such as Oracle VirtualBox -- I do this on a daily basis for development and testing purposes.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
MSPleiades
4 MB

Post by MSPleiades » October 3rd, 2014, 8:03 am

Thanks For Your Fast Response.
I Appreciate Your Time And Concern.
This Really Helped Me Decide what to do. Going To Get a MacBook Pro.
Thanks a lot.
mark_42
32 MB

Post by mark_42 » October 3rd, 2014, 8:16 pm

I just want to bring up a couple of points. Macs don't come with flash preinstalled. You'll have to download it for free from Adobe and only takes about a minute to install.

The second point is be aware of which MacBook Pro you buy. The 15" Machines are quad core and I believe only i7, while the 13" can be had in both dual Core i5 and i7.

I have a first generation 15" 2.7 GHz quad Core i7 retina MacBook Pro that still amazes me. Go for the 15" retina with full complement of RAM and you can always upgrade the SSD sometime in the future.

You can always install Windows either through boot camp or a virtual machine if you feel homesick.

Please come back and let us know how you're making out!
MSPleiades
4 MB

Post by MSPleiades » October 3rd, 2014, 10:32 pm

Adobe Flash Is Not a Big Problem, As you Said I Can Download It, But Thanks For Mentioning It.

To Be Honest I Have One Big Concern About Buying a Mac Laptop. I'm a Python Programmer And Mostly I Use It For Web Developing, Creating Local Databases and Maintaining Them, That Aside, Most people Use Windows Where I Work And Where I Live. Plus, I Have Used Windows My Whole Life.
You Guys Seem To Be Knowledgeable About This Matter, Do You Think I Will Face Any Difficulty Switching To OS X For My Work?

I Have To Say Though, Aside From Work, I Wold Love To Use Mac Laptop, But I Can't Afford To Have Two Laptops. I Just Wanna Use One For Both Personal Stuff And Work.

I Decided To Switch To OS X For My Work Because All The Awesome Thing I Have Heard From My Friends Who Uses Mac Laptops For Web Developing And Photo, Sound And Video Editing.
mark_42
32 MB

Post by mark_42 » October 4th, 2014, 1:22 pm

I'm pretty sure Python runs on Mac. In fact I think it comes preinstalled, but just in case give Apple a call to verify it.

I don't think you have any problems running a Mac at work. Most major applications are available for both platforms, and in a pinch you can always run Windows in a VM or Boot Camp.
MSPleiades
4 MB

Post by MSPleiades » October 4th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Good To Know That. Thank you.
I Asked about whether Python Terminals, Libraries And Interpreter Comes Pre installed on OS X, And they Told me, Yes It Does.
I Really Appreciate you Answering My Questions. It really helped me make up my mind about whether if it's a Good Idea to switch to OS X or not. and i think it is a good idea.
There Is Nothing Left To Do Except Buying The Laptop...
again thanks a lot for you help
mark_42
32 MB

Post by mark_42 » October 5th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Keep us informed on which Mac you get and what your coworkers think of your apostasy! ;-)